• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car cranks but won't start

steeno321

CEG'er
Ok so I was driving around town today stopped by the mall and when I went to leave my car just died on me as I was leaving the parking lot. I hit the gas and it just dogged and quit. The car would not start after this. It cranks and everything else. I was told that its either a spark or fuel problem. I didn't think it would just die and not start if it was fuel. I did replace the plugs in it about a month ago didn't gap them just put them in and it ran fine even got rid of my mid rpm bogging problem. I don't know if I should replace the fuel pump and filter or if it is my plugs. Any suggestions?

Post year, engine and tranny. Get the CEL codes read and post the exact codes here. It could be anything when you don't know.

I just experienced a verry simmilar situation where the car bogged down then would not start and keep running. With advice from gus and Reebs doing just about all the work it turned out to be the fuel pump. Check if you're getting spark and pressure in the fuel lines.

Back