• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yikes! Officially exceeded. . . .

KingpinSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
So after the recent binge on new parts (am in for about $1400), I decided to take my mod list into Excel and make a spreadsheet of all the costs. I have officially exceeded the price I paid for my car in aftermarket parts. And this is with me doing all of the work/installations. Alignments not included, my labor not factored in, replacements of broken parts excluded (like 2 pairs of foglights) just the cost of aftermarket goodies that are on the car right now (removed mods excluded).

Total came to just shy of $8500. This is including what Im about to spend on Warmonger's brakes and focus rotors.

And this is without tranny work or major engine upgrades! Im hoping the motor/tranny lasts until I: A) pull the motor/tranny for major upgrades or B) decide to sell the car.

Of course, many of you are at this point. Some of you may have exceeded the value two or three fold, but for me this is a first.

And of course the cheaper your car was or the sweeter your deal was, the easier this would be. And I suppose if you bought your car new this would be more difficult. I was just surprised when I saw the total!:help:

BFD I know, but just sharing

This is exactly why I want to do 18's.. headers/ypipe and the better resonator.. and be done
icon10.gif

Hopefully you had fun spending that money :D

I Doubt im into the 9 g's area yet. But I dont see an end in sight, and my costs on car are a bit harder to factor in since I eat alot of costs on projects for not only myself but others.

totaling everything that I have done recalling cost to the best of my knowledge and including the up coming repaint of the car i am at about 11k ... just about double what we payed for the car, but I only had to pay half of that ...

from the FCO registry beyondloaded lists his mods totaling near 21k

from the FCO registry beyondloaded lists his mods totaling near 21k

I think Buckshot is even higher than that. :help:

And there is no end in sight for this car until I decide to sell it. I do this as a hobby and dont mind spending the money to do so. My next car will be the same way, and the one after that, and after that, etc. etc. I dont care about the return. I do it so I can have a car that puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

Why do I modify every car I own? Because I love doing it. I don't usally total up my cost because I use to think that if I did, it would stop me from doing anything, but I have found with my Contour that keeping a running total has not slowed me down at all. I turned my first wrench at 16 and now at 47 I have not slowed down at all. I do modify smarter by doing research and seeing what others have done.

The car hobby is like any other we do it because it is fun for us and makes us feel good.

no I hear you on the sticker shock.

I did the same recently and it totalled to about 10k IN THE PAST YEAR!

heres where the numbers get depressing, I have added ~0 hp to the car and cosmetically it looks perfectly stock. I've also put on about 10k in milage in the year, so at 1 buck a mile in maintence/improvements its been an expensive car... ughh.

I figure a realistic remaining cost of 30k before I can be happy with the car.

[edit: although I should be clear that I've been meticulously planning this build for 7 years without any modifications, I finally have the money and am doing it right from the most minor parts on out.]

Last edited:
Total came to just shy of $8500.

Ha! I've spent more then that on my video game collection. You obviously spend the moeny on your car becouse you enjoy it. Just as long as it doesn't hurt you finacially now or in the long term theres nothing to worry about.

As for me I've spent about $100 in mods. Watch out now.

I'm going to have a tough time exceeding what I paid for the car. I bought mine NEW!

Same here! To see people saying they have $10k total into their cars makes me :(
I paid $20k for the car new, and have probably ~$9-$10k in modifications. This includes EVERYTHING from the engine/performance, transmission, suspension, brakes(in route), aesthetics, and stereo upgrades.

Mark

Yeah, I'm afraid to add up what I've spent on the contour recently . . .
At least I (sort of) came to my senses before completely re-doing the interior to match my seats. lol.

im probably over the 5K mark in just mods alone.. Worth it?? I dont know.. most of the stuff i've put into it i can sell for a decent price so i dont see it as a huge loss. Plus i love pretty much everything i've done to the car.

Back