• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Head gasket replace, needed parts checklist

peke350

CEG'er
I need to change the right (drivers side) hg before I put the car into storage. I want to change every gasket and o-ring (except the exhaust manifold gasket which has less than 1000 miles on it).
Heres the list of what I think i`ll need, including the tools:

Rachet with sockets of all sizes, but I have a hunch that`s not enaugh, I may need another set of deeper sockets.
Torque wrench (don`t have one)
Spark plug wrench (ditto)
A bunch of extensions
Crankshaft pulley bolt
Crankshaft pulley harmonic balancer puller (I may have someone get to manufacture one of these for me, as I don`t know where to buy one)
Water pump (just being cautious, maybe metal with impeller)
Accesory (serpentine) belt (will buy the short one and throw my a/c out)
Head bolts (8, right? for one head only)
Head gasket
UIM and LIM gaskets
Timing chain cover gasket
Crankshaft o-ring

I`m sure i left quite a few stuff out, help to complete the checklist please? Any other gaskets, o-rings, and non-reusable torque to yield bolts i should consider? I want to remove and clean the valves too.

How may miles on the engine? If its high, do you really think your saving much time or money by doing only the one head?

Take a look at the parts list in the UIM/LIM rebuild guides, that will certainly add a few items to your list.

Don't forget valve cover gaskets.
I would like real life experiences, maybe there is something that the guide ive read does not mention. Valve cover gasket, added to list. I knew, but just forgot about it.
Engine has 107.000. I`m only doing the head that is losing compression on one cylinder (rear head), the other one is fine, no reason to do that one too. And I`m trying to minimise the costs, as I have no job right now, and with the little money i have, also need to look after some rear calipers, a starter motor and maybe but hope not, a flywheel, because sometimes the starter motor won`t engage the gear ring, it just spins by itself like crazy. Don`t think I`m cheap. But this is Europe, and parts for the V6 here are like 3 to 4 times as expensive as they are in the states, you know.

Some of the higher mileage V-6's develop oil leaks from the head gaskets at the oil gallery feed area of the head. Just check the area closely.

Replace the gasket under the breather between the heads. You'll might need a new oil pan gasket also.

Right, crankcase breather gasket added to list, thanks. I think I`ll be ordering the parts from the USA. Best place to order parts online? But they must ship to Europe. Any ideas?

I see you're across the pond. That explains the head gasket issue. Over here there were VERY few if any at all head gasket issues. The head gaskets they used on the USA spec duratec's were better from what I remember reading.

Being such a rare issue is probably why you're not getting many responses.

Yes, maybe, but this car was also raced to death before I bought it, that contributed a lot to getting the gasket cracked or whatever happened with it. I know this because it had red LED`s under the doorhandles (on a green car, imagine how pretty they looked), police siren and stupid fake muffler tips, that only a dumb boyracer would install. Spent hours taking those off :) No other problems tho`, and the car was cheap so im not really complaining.

Back