• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diff or Clutch?

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
1999 Contour SVT. Stock everything.

Car feels like it goes into gear, shifter feels like it has gates, clutch pedal still feels the same (the pressure plate still is there it feels like...) Speedo does not move when you rev the car in 1st gear.

Basically there is no drive, you can put it into ANY gear, release the clutch and the car will not move, you can rev it up to any RPM and the car will not move.

No leaks in the tranny, The only thing, there is a weird sound at 2500rpm's, almost like a rattle. I can hold the rpm's at 2500 and the sound will be continuous, at any other rpm its gone.

Any help would be appreciated.

The axle could have popped out of the circlip, thats what happened to my car at the track and the exact same things were going on and it was just popped out.

No, I removed it cause it grinded the tip of the end and about 1/16" was grinded down on the splines so it was pulled and cleaned out with a pen magnet. Then after the stage 2 axle was repaired its ready to go back in, but the stocker is in there for now.

If it did pop out I would remove it and check the splines cause more than likely the very tip is stripped.

Main differential case must be turning to work speedo. Problem is something broken before that.

Check the axle first, its not hard. Remove the wheel and pull on the axle, if it comes right out then it popped out of the circlip, if not go from there.

Is there any gear rattle when you let out the clutch? Can you manipulate the shifter with the engine running and clutch peddle up? If there's no gear rattle and you can "shift" without depressing the clutch, it's the clutch or a snapped input shaft. If there's gear rattle or if there's synchro resistance when you try to shift without depressing the clutch, it's somewhere between the input shaft and the diff.

Its the clutch.

I pulled the cover for the slave cylinder, started the car, and i saw metal shavings bouncing around inside. The slave still works, Pressure plate is there, Im guessing the clutch is just fried.

Time to pull the trans. Unless there is an easier way to do it.

Back