• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

coil pack

changed the plug wires back to the originals and what seemed like a slight miss between 2 and 3 k rpm went away.

the taylor wires I have do clip on solid to the plugs, even 5 and 6 but with the plugs installed I can't get them to clip on.

no change on the fuel trims. will try the egr thing later tonight. however I am still getting a P0401 and the valve worked correctly. I applied a vacuum and the engine started to stumble.

hey brian. ur dpfe sensor is new right?

hey brian. ur dpfe sensor is new right?

no, its a used metal one as the newer (installed 2003 time frame) plastic one melted. however I do have a newer one from a taurus I could use.

I clamped the hoses on both ends to I could have killed the sensor via excess pressure.

You've got a serious exhaust restriction if you're blowing the hoses off the DPFE. Every time I've seen this happen there was a bad cat involved.

Considering this, I would now lean toward an exhaust restriction. Excessive backpressure will fry a DPFE in very little time, (which is your P0401), AND could cause EGR leakage at idle and excessive commanded EGR flow at cruise... both of which will f*ck up your fuel trims and can cause driveability issues at lower RPM. What's your exhaust setup?

lmao ... headers, NPG turbo kit, borla muffler, magnaflow resonator, all straight through designs .... there is no exhaust restriction nor are there any cats at the moment, its the turbo. at 8 psi and up it will blow the hoses off, at less then 8 psi it will not.

I already know the real way to solve that one is to reference the exhaust for the egr after the turbo ... and I know the excess pressure will kill the sensor. but clamping them on is better then having the hose pop off and one, having an exhaust leak under the hood, and two having the leak melt anything under the hood ..... I would ditch it but I need to pass emmissions.

I'll try blocking off the egr valve tonight, but I don't see that making any difference. I made up a gasket last night.

Last edited:
sorry I thought that the setup of my car was pretty well known at this point ... thats all ... but like I said I know how the poping dpfe sensor hose can be addressed.

I thought you were being a dick... my bad. :blackeye:

Now I'm VERY interested to see the results from blocking the EGR.

well I did say the restriction was the turbo .... but anyway no I wasn't trying to be a dick, I appreciate the input.

so you are thinking that the valve isn't sealing correctly or the added back pressure of the turbo is forcing air past the valve and causing the bank 1 to lean out since the short term trims are only off at idle with the adaptive learning turned off as there are the same under load?

also like I said I tested the egr valve and when vacuum was applied it caused the idle to stumble. othewise the idle is normal, or high.

the drivability issue I have noticed is it will sometimes die, but now I believe thats because of the one bank running rich. but on the tune its ok since the short term trims are corrected and the same with the adaptive learning.

Last edited:
correct me if i'm wrong here, but if u clamp the dpfe sensor hoses down, u divert all that pressure somewhere else. as a ruff guess, i'd say u've toasted ur dpfe again. thats why 401 keeps coming up. besides, i thought u already eliminated the valve seals as a culprit someime ago. no?

correct me if i'm wrong here, but if u clamp the dpfe sensor hoses down, u divert all that pressure somewhere else. as a ruff guess, i'd say u've toasted ur dpfe again. thats why 401 keeps coming up. besides, i thought u already eliminated the valve seals as a culprit someime ago. no?

you the pressure most likely killed the sensor, oh well, I'll just throw another used one on there for now.

never mentioned anything about valve seals before. the smoking the car was doing was becuase the PCV was not sealing and caused the crank case to pressurize. a turbocoupe pcv valve took care of that.

you the pressure most likely killed the sensor, oh well, I'll just throw another used one on there for now.

never mentioned anything about valve seals before. the smoking the car was doing was becuase the PCV was not sealing and caused the crank case to pressurize. a turbocoupe pcv valve took care of that.

oh ok. my mistake. the culprit has got to be found! throw another sensor for good measure and see what happens. i know, that sucks. now, u've gatta take off the UIM, vacuum lines and so forth. somebody's gatta do it:). (just keeping ur enthusiasm high). this car can drive one up the wall.

ok, I blocked off the egr valve with a solid gasket.

previously with my hand scanner one back was around 0~1% and the other was around -3~5%

now with it blocked off there was still a difference. however it was trying to pull fuel from both banks. one was around -5~6% and the other was -9~10%.

Interesting. You should drive it around with the gasket in place and see what the trims do.

I suppose that I can but they where different at idle and would come together after reving the engine.

all the previous logging that I did showed the difference was at idle. then they would be the same under load.

Vacuum leak can have good idle until fuel trim used up and can add no more fuel. Then it will begin to miss. Have seen it more than once on Focus zetec, which has an absolutely horrible PCV hose attachment at intake manifold. Fuel rots out the rubber and a hole sucks through little by little until with big enough leak motor begins to run erratically, momentarily at first in a short burst of misfire then correct running. Later will go to solid missing, by then leak is HUGE. PCM goes a long way to correct that condition to where you don't even notice, at least until reaching the limits of the fuel system. Higher idle may be indicator, since vacuum leak plus PCM added fuel to compensate is the equivalent of opening throttle slightly.

I hear ya. It's just hard to predict what the trims are going to do in situations like decceleration and stop after cruise... which can affect the final numbers.

Either way, it looks to me like you're definitely leaking EGR gasses at idle if the trims changed that much.

well I noted that of decel from reving the engine the trims did line up. and like I said with previous logging the are the same under load. so they don't line up under a no-load condition at idle and steady state rpm with no load.

as for leaking at the egr valve, it turns out one of the bolt stripped out yesterday so I can't really tighten it :mad: only plus side its the one thats open in the back so I hope I can get a nut on it ...

Back