• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

coil pack

BrApple

No Life But CEG
I tested my coil pack per the autozone information and according to that the secondary coils are out of spec. The max was suppose to be 13.1 k ohms and mine measured 13.4.

I recall reading that alot of people have tested there coils and found them to be out of spec per the autozone numbers.

Are they really out of spec and is it really an issue since it isn't much?

Oh I think that is well within specs especially if you consider the meter you are using probably has a wide tolerance also.

Mike

Oh I think that is well within specs especially if you consider the meter you are using probably has a wide tolerance also.

Mike

yeah I wasn't to concerned about it as many have posted that their coil are out of spec according to the autozone how-to.

but I have a problem somewhere where half my enigne is running richer then the other. trying to track down simple things first. wasn't sure if the coil being "off" could be an issue or not.

I would doubt the coil as a possible issue for a rich condition. If the coil were acting up, you would typically have an intermittent miss at the very least. Are you rich according to your O2's, your fuel trims, or both?

fuel trim for one bank is 20% richer then the other. bank 2 is running richer then back 1. I think that the O2 sensors show this also.

I also noted that my 5th and 6th plug wires don't clip on as the others do. also plug 3 and 4 showed the least coloring of all the plugs. however bank 1 was overall lighter then bank 2.

other then that is does kinda feels like it has a miss around the 2 to 3 krpm range ... when standing still and holding the rpms I do hear like a poping sound coming from the exhaust.

Last edited:
That's long-term trim right? Hopefully you just have an O2 that took a sh*t. Swap your upstream O2's & see what your short-term trims do.

Sounds like the contacts in the wires for the plugs have a loose connection, or are no longer reaching the plug... probably the latter. Grab a set of needle nose and pull the contacts for the spark plugs closer to the tips of the boot on the wire... then see if you get a better *click* when putting the wire on. This would be a likely culprit for your miss.

nope this is on the short term trims. this is running a tune with the pcm self learning turned off. if I run a normall tune the PCM makes the short term trims the same and the long term are off.

already swapped upstream sensors and it didn't make a difference. both are also new within the past month.

will try the plug wire thing, but I do try not to pull on the wires to remove them.

also if the wires are not clipped on well enough then is it possible that the plug isn't getting the spark that is should be and then it doesn't burn the gas as well, causing the bank to be rich compared to the other? bank 1 all the plug wire clip firmly onto the plugs and you can hear them clip on, same with plug #4.

Last edited:
So if you've got adaptive learning turned off, does the PCM always operate in open loop drive once warm?

Any chance you might have a vacuum leak on the bank showing the leaner trim?

not sure on the open loop thing.

as for a vacuum leak, not sure. i do not believe there is as the car idles correctly, sometimes alittle high, but correctly. I have already resealed the plates to the heads and the intake gaskets where all new during the 3L build.

Hate to say it but I'm leaning toward a vacuum leak of some sort. A fuel issue is a possibility, but a long shot unless your pressure is low. Which UIM are you running? Did you keep your EGR and PCV systems intact? Do your fuel trims even out any at high idle, or under load?

not saying a vacuum leak ins't possible.

egr and pcv system are intact and working.

with adaptive learning turned off the short term fuel trims did even out under load iirc.

I am using a SVT UIM, have been for some time now.

That would further suggest a vacuum leak. I would block off your EGR valve, (unless you do not have functioning secondaries), just to rule out unwanted EGR flow, (EGR flow at idle, given closed secondaries, could result in very different fuel needs between banks). Once you rule out EGR, I'd start hunting for a vacuum leak.

how would the egr flow effect one bank only? it enters the UIM at the TB ...

I have working secondaries. and actually I have recently been getting a P0401.

I don't know that I can believe that but how would you block off the egr vavle then from flowing? either geta delete kit or put a solid gasket in?

changed the plug wires back to the originals and what seemed like a slight miss between 2 and 3 k rpm went away.

the taylor wires I have do clip on solid to the plugs, even 5 and 6 but with the plugs installed I can't get them to clip on.

no change on the fuel trims. will try the egr thing later tonight. however I am still getting a P0401 and the valve worked correctly. I applied a vacuum and the engine started to stumble.

Back