• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please help Engine Flame

realness1978

CEG'er
I am not sure if this is the cause but my dipstick top has been broken off and the dipstick has been stuck in the engine for a couple of months. I have driven long distances with the dipstick like this ever since. Yesterday I was on an approximate 30 mile drive on the highway. I noticed the red oil light came on so I pulled over and there was smoke coming out of the engine. I popped the hood and there was oil all over the engine. I looked to the left side of the engine where the smoke was coming from and there was a small flame coming from the left side of the engine. I looked at the top of the hood inside and there was an oil spot right above where the dipstick is located.

I thought the oil would not leak through the top because only the top plastic piece broke off the dipstick.

I have not started the car since this episode yesterday. What signs should I look for to tell if there is any damage? Do you think this flame caused any damage? Am I correct in stating the oil getting onto the hot engine caused the flame?

Again I am not sure if the flame was caused by the oil leaking through the dipstick top onto the engine, but I am guessing it is because of the oil spot inside the hood.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to go about resolving this issue. I plan on trying to fix the dipstick this weekend after reading a couple of how to fixes on this site.

if the oil light came on mor ethen likely the bears are toast. all you can do now is drain the oil and maybe pull the pan to look for evidence of a spun bearing. if your lucky that didn't happen.

Which engine? Where exactly is "above the dipstick tube" because the dipstick tube actually goes almost all the way down to the oil pan. See if you can wipe the engine off and visually look for a place that could be leaking. That's where I'd start.

Before I came to work today I checked to see if the car would start and it started up. I turned it off right away because I was running late and hopped into my other car for work.

If it is the rod bearings is this an expensive job? Also would this cause the flame to ignite?

sounds like there was fire because hot oil got out of the engine via the dip stick tube and got on something that was flamible.

normally the low oil pressure light means the bearings have taken damage because it turns on at a very low pressure. But this is most normally accociated with a Duratec V6. The Zetec maybe luckier and not spin a bearing with low oil pressure.

As I suggested I would drain the oil and look for indications of engine damage. Also pull the oil pan and inspect the rods for essesive play that might indicate bearing damage.

if you where lucky nothing was damaged.

Don't worry.

Don't worry.

Forget the rod bearing alarmists.

You probably have low oil level which starved the pump and caused oil pressure to drop and turn on the light. Since you cannot check the oil level, it is likely.

It is relatively easy to pull the tube that holds the dipstick by removing the heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold. Once you have done that you can get another dipstick and then check the oil level.

PUt the proper amount of oil in the engine and start it up. If it runs fine you have dodged a bullet. If you have knocks in the engine or smoke from the exhaust then you have screwed the pooch.

A hell of alot easier than pulling a pan to check for a problem that probably isn't.

You probably have low oil level which starved the pump and caused oil pressure to drop and turn on the light. Since you cannot check the oil level, it is likely.

yes and that is why one should be concerned about the bearings. at least on the duratec the low oil pressure light comes on at such a low psi that it is way to late and the bearings are done.

since oil came out the dipstick I agree that the oil is low and starved the pump. I wouldn't dismiss the bearing have been damaged but if this person was lucky then they will be fine.

It is relatively easy to pull the tube that holds the dipstick by removing the heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold. Once you have done that you can get another dipstick and then check the oil level.

PUt the proper amount of oil in the engine and start it up. If it runs fine you have dodged a bullet. If you have knocks in the engine or smoke from the exhaust then you have screwed the pooch.

A hell of alot easier than pulling a pan to check for a problem that probably isn't.

I removed the heat shield. I tried pulling the dipstick tube but it is not coming out. I didn’t want to use a lot of force because I don’t want to break anything. All the screws that connect the tube to the shield have been removed.
Is there something else I need to do to remove the dipstick tube? or do i just need to pull it harder?

Is there something else I need to do to remove the dipstick tube? or do i just need to pull it harder?
Does it screw in (and out)?

I think the Ford 302 engine uses the same dipstick as the Zetec. You should be able to buy the dipstick from Autozone or Advance Auto.

These threads mention a bolt which has to be removed.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=456035&Forum=trouble&Words=broke%20dipstick&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=455974&Search=true#Post456035

and

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=340086&Search=true#Post340086

Last edited:
Does it screw in (and out)?

I think the Ford 302 engine uses the same dipstick as the Zetec. You should be able to buy the dipstick from Autozone or Advance Auto.

These threads mention a bolt which has to be removed.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=456035&Forum=trouble&Words=broke%20dipstick&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=455974&Search=true#Post456035

and

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=340086&Search=true#Post340086

i really cant tell. i will try to give it a little twist

Back