• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Like a poll for projectors... for those who have 'em.

chrisl311

CEG'er
Hello everyone im not having any luck buying projector retrofitted headlights from anyone one here so it looks like im going to be stupid enough to try. with the awsome amount of info on the old forums, i wanted to get everyone's vote (owners of retrofitted headlights) what their choice for projectors were, and if they are happy, and of course if not happy then why not. the problem is is all the different posts i saw had so many different kind used because it seemed like a lot of you were doing some trial and error... specifically i know that there is the tl/tsx/s2000 you can buy, but then there is the hella lamps that are offered in several different millimeters which was debated which size was best, and then came the topic of h7 or h9's and needless to say im hoping that there has been a general agreement on what proved to be the superior projector? personally, the way that it sounded is that some of the hellas were too long, but some could be adjusted? sounds more for a retrofit friendly item to me,,, if im understanding correctly. so everyones opinion is welcome as i would like to benefit from everyones hard work! =)

TL/TSX (stanley) projectors are imo the best out there but retrofitting them into our headlight is going to be lots and lots of pain because its base is veerry wide!! The safest best bet that is used on here is the HELLA 90mm for the lows, puddles informed me that it fits well and the way he does it, it can also be adjusted. I am running Valeos on mine and they have almost a perfect fit. The craftsmanship was poor but after they "sorta" fixed the minor problems, I beleive they will hold for now. Pudmunkies is runnig Bosch E-46 projectors (was running) and he had a sweet custom fabricated mounting brakcet which enabled him to get perfect adjusting capabilities.

Its a very hard and tedious process and its not like you can just slap on projectors and call it the day. Theres a lot of pre-adjusting involved before you seal everything back up. The Focal points of the projector have to be alligned so that the "Z" in the cutoffs are evenly seperate from eachother.

IMO you should use the newer Valeos, Im sure alex will chime in but hes also produced a set with quad valeo projectors that he said were really easy to do. Valeos are also a very colorfull projector, they are the type that you see flicker from purple to blue and etc. I am very happy with mine.

2-7.jpg

7-2.jpg

668c29a3.jpg

19968e34.jpg

f255cd6c.jpg

that looks awsome! i love how your projector round and doesnt look all cut up around it. very clean indeed. thanks for your info, im glad you didnt tell me to search. very informative. but yes, i am not the best at fabricating so the projectors that are adjustable will be a plus. did you say the valeo is adjustable?

that looks awsome! i love how your projector round and doesnt look all cut up around it. very clean indeed. thanks for your info, im glad you didnt tell me to search. very informative. but yes, i am not the best at fabricating so the projectors that are adjustable will be a plus. did you say the valeo is adjustable?

mine are adjustable because mine are siliconed to the reflector. However when you go to put in the projectors, you must make sure that all the focal points are alligned. You dont want to have uneven cutoff. There are a bunf of sites available that will assist you with that, this isthe most important part IMO because if this is done wrong, your projectors are worthless..

oh, so when you say siliconed to the reflector, you mean you use the stock way of adjusting the whole headlight? thats cool, makes it simple...er. by focal points you mean i want to put the projectors in level so the beam isnt crooked? this is sounding a little easier than i thought. do you happen to know a good source to get the projectors you recommended? i know on the old forums you said you knew some people. let me know i want to get these before i loose my nerve....haha.

thats funny because i was just about to ask if those kits are plug and play with the stock wiring, or do i need to get a 9005 harness or something? see i do SOME homework! lol, too bad those valeos are currently unnavailable...

I agree with Gooz SVT with the better fitment of the Hella units. I used the Hella 90mm projectors in my headlights. I did the over 2 years ago.. (about the time Millian was coverting/selling his) I modded the 90mm projector so the whole unit fit in the low-beam reflector assembly. This way i could keep the factory adjustment and rear weather seals. (my biggest concern) This wasn't an easy an easy project.

Again i agree with Goonz SVT, it's just not throwing the projector in there. Next to separating the headlights, alignment of the projector 'Z' cutsoff's was crucial. Aligning the projector cut-off so they are on the same plane as the factory lowbeams and aligned in relation to the hi-beam, so both can work together. Then aligning both the left and right projectors so the cutoff work with each other.

I got several sets of used headlights to practice and learn on from the salvage yard. I had to learn how to separate the headlights cover and nd'd reflector assemblies to modify and cut-up. I also used like six 90mm Hella halogen projectors. Two for cutting up, two for the halogen setup and 2 for modding the bases for the D2S HID bulbs. Hella don't sell the bulb bases. :(

I see if i can dig up old pics of this project. I'll try to take pics of the prototype headlight. If i'm not to tired tonight, i'll take a headlight off and take pics of the ones in my car.

This was a great resource! I got most of my info from them.
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/

Got my projectors from these ppl
http://www.rallylights.com/

Well I'm still making progress on my projector housing. I have two sets of headlights to work with. I'm trying to find a deal on the Hella 90mm modules before I go any further though. Has anyone used the Hella Xenon 90mm projectors? They are pretty damn spendy at about $500 a piece, but they do come with the ballast and D2S capsule and more importantly they are made for HID.

People retrofit projectors on here?

lights2.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

Have fun with the project, take your time and do it right the first time. It seems to me like you need to do alot more research before you jump in tho :)

Use valeo projectors. They are far superior to Hella 90mm low beams when it comes to HID use. that and they are ALOT smaller, and its easier to mount them.

Oh and a beam shot for the hell of it

DSC01954.jpg

I should add that if you pick up Valeo H7 projectors you can use them as a halogen projector for the time being (taking the time to put a nice dust cap over the back of them) and then use an H7 adaptor ring for D2S projector bulbs down the road (which is what Goonz has)

Last edited:
Well I'm still making progress on my projector housing. I have two sets of headlights to work with. I'm trying to find a deal on the Hella 90mm modules before I go any further though. Has anyone used the Hella Xenon 90mm projectors? They are pretty damn spendy at about $500 a piece, but they do come with the ballast and D2S capsule and more importantly they are made for HID.

Still at work... :( I was able to take few pics of the car while there is still light.. Before i leave work i'll take some pics with the HID on.

At the time i did my HID projector project they only had the 90mm Hella halogen projectors w/ H9 bulbs. Still a better spread pattern than the stock Contour reflectors. I was running the H9 halogens for a few months until i got another set of projectors to mod the bases for the D2S bulbs. From what i've read somewhere.. The halogen and HID projectors and housing are the same the bulb base the it he only difference. Since on the glass len say it's DOT/SAE approved for H7/D2S. I can't confirm this since i don't have an HID Hella projector housing to compare with. It might be the lens covers that are shared btwn the 2 Hella units?
good info here
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hella-90mm/
I got my ballasts, bulbs and A6 projectors on ebay for like @$370. So if you did it the first time correctly, it's like $400 for the HID equip, @ $120 for the 2 90mm Hella projectors. Two 'converted' projectors for the price of 1 90mm HID Hella projector. :D If i had the money and the HID versions were out at the time i'd have gotten them. The only thing you'd have to do is get them to fit in the stock housing! But yes the $500 for the HID 90mm projector is a bit spendy. But you don't have to look around for an HID kit or spend time on modding the halogen base to work with the D2S bulb.

The hella 90mm are excellent units, they just dont take to HID equipment as easily as true HID projectors do. I plan on using some hella 90mm's and keeping them halogen for my DD...

Just be sure to keep them OEM components
Enough scrounging on ebay will find the parts for cheap.

As was said, Aiming is the hard part.

Be sure to post pictures of your beam patterns so we can see em :)

I dont know guys, if you are spending all that money on projectors, go with somthing different like Valeo or Boschs. Sure they will be harder but atleast these projector units are designed for HIDs and will give your care a nice twist to them..just my .02

The hella 90mm are excellent units, they just dont take to HID equipment as easily as true HID projectors do. I plan on using some hella 90mm's and keeping them halogen for my DD...

Just be sure to keep them OEM components
Enough scrounging on ebay will find the parts for cheap.

As was said, Aiming is the hard part.

Be sure to post pictures of your beam patterns so we can see em :)

What about the Xenon 90mm Hella modules?? They are a true HID projector setup, are they not? Obviously pretty spendy though...

hellaxenonlb8.png

Last edited:
Have you ever held one of those units? They are MASSIVE. The contour headlamp is not all that big.

Regardless of size, the valeo projectors will still out perform the 90's. The Hella 90mm's have an actual projector lense size of just under 2". Valeo projectors have a 2.25, Bosch are 2.25, TSX are 2.5, and Bixenon bosch are 3". 2" lense is one of the smallest lenses made. That size is what gives you your beam and spread (among other things like focal point, concave shape of the lense etc.)

Last edited:
Back