• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E, sudden problems

I found the tool, but the cheapest seems to be $250 for just the tool... hardly worth it. I don't think I can do it with a jack, because the car would be on a lift. I'd just like to pop this thing off to verify the band is indeed broken, and its not the piston or something in there.

try ebay

try ebay

Matt

$250 too much indeed. Try ebay, I bought the cd4e transmission tool kit and it had that tool in it. About $100 plus shipping. When you are done, turn around and sell it on ebay. I call it ebay rental.

I strongly suspect it is the band, that servo seal is pretty robust and there is not much that can go wrong with it.

servo replacement is worlds easier

servo replacement is worlds easier

Matt

The thrust washer kit, good idea, just avoid the temptation to replace the other thrust washers. ONLY need to replace that one.

If is is a problem with the servo (likely not) then it would be worlds easier. Although pulling a trans is not that tough, but it does take alot of time.

best of luck

I'm sure it'll be a lot of work... my 2 biggest concerns are the subframe bolts just spinning (but I guess I could just pull the trans out the top instead of the bottom), and not being able to figure out how to replace the band once the tranny is apart. I expect to attempt this in the next couple weeks or so, so I may be asking more questions!

The servo cover on my 95LX leaked and required replacement. The mechanic whom performed the repair said that he saw it a lot on CD4E Mazdas.

I'm still not convinced it's 100% dead though. I'm going to replace the MLP sensor, since it's only $25, and I'm going to do a fluid change. If a band really did break, then the fluid should smell burnt, which it's not, and be full of metal particles, which I'll check for when I drain it.

Yep, don't be. Cottmann said mine was hopeless, and it's fine now. They gave me the whole "broken band" crap. All they want isoyur almost 300 dollars. Tranny shops are weird like that (probably since they make a living off of working on the most agrivating part of a vehicle, an AT/ATX). Change the fluid and sensors. It just may end up ok.:cool:

A band can break completely in two pieces and not hurt trans at all other than whatever it controlled quits working. If a piece of it does not fall into the rotating mass, the fluid will not even change color. If band broke you will not have 2nd or OD on this trans. The MLPS can be checked and rebuilt to lube up the inside when it gets stiff. Use voltmeter to check it out, drill out the rivets and put back together with just some more small rivets. Use a clear type grease inside that won't conduct electricity. Not a whole lot to go wrong with it, mainly adjustment is the problem.

The servo cover has a rubber seal edge on it that is very easy to snag on the snap ring groove while cover is squeezed in with whatever tool used to compress spring. Once seal edge bent backwards or torn it will leak when pressure applied to servo.

I got aircougar to pull and disassemble trans, and it was indeed the band... broken at one of the mounting points. Reassembled and everything is running good. Tranny leak was found too... happened to be a very small hole on a cooler line, hidden by rust, which was spraying fluid backwards onto bottom of the trans.

did you go cheap?

did you go cheap?

Matt

I bought a business, moved it home and have been pretty busy. I see that you replaced the band. Now for public knowledge did you go the cheap way? A band, thrust washer, a few gaskets, oil filter and cheap oil? I got mine done for $300 but I replaced way too many parts.

Let us know, so that the next trans rebuilder knows if the cheapie option is viable.

Best of luck

Yep, did it the cheap way. Supplies cost me $110 (including manual). Paid another $60 for the CD4E tools on eBay, but they can be resold for the same price.

Here's a picture of the band for anyone interested:
1119080001.jpg

I would have bought those tools from you if I knew you got them for $60.00 !!!

Pm me if you still have them, Matt... I'll take them off your hands when we fix your exhaust! :)

a carbon copy of my band

a carbon copy of my band

Matt

Looks exactly like my band did. You got by alot cheaper than I did both for parts and tools. Btw what tools were neccessary for the job.

Congrats.

Now to spin up the others, did you ignore the hysteric warnings of the others and leave off the trans cooler?

Matt

Looks exactly like my band did. You got by alot cheaper than I did both for parts and tools. Btw what tools were neccessary for the job.

Congrats.

Now to spin up the others, did you ignore the hysteric warnings of the others and leave off the trans cooler?

He had me install a ATX cooler while I had everything apart... good thing, too, as I found out why he was "really" leaking fluid! Stock cooler lines were rusting away in 2 spots...

Man I love this site! I'm going through this same scenario right now and am glad I found this post. I already did the shift kit, sensors and TC last summer, but I guess she wanted to keep me busy this summer too. Gotta love the Contour! :rolleyes:

Consider this a bump for anyone else searching for these same symptoms.

Chris

Cost update for a band only fix. I purchased the band, oil pump gasket and o-rings (last two only), Case gasket, filter, filter seal, accumulator cover w/seal and a CD4E manual. I did not have to replace the plastic thrust washer as mine was in good condition. No special tools kit, just some shade tree ingenuity.

Total parts cost (with my company discount) was ~$75.00 + $33.00 for the manual through bulkpart. Add in some trans fluid and now we're talking roughly $130.00 and a lot of your time.

Basically, here's the process:

Remove all of the sensors (TR, VSS, TSS),
Pull the oil pan,
Remove the valve body,
Compress and remove the accumulator cover/piston/spring,
Split the case,
Carefully remove and organize the internals,
Remove the oil pump and there she was... The broken band. :mad:

I didn't mess with the frictions and steels so I didn't worry about checking my clearances. I just replaced the listed parts, soaked the new band in tranny fluid and reassembled the trans exactly as it was. I should have it all back in the car late Sunday and report whether or not the cheap band fix worked for me.

Chris

I may need the tool kit that has been discussed in this thread. I've looked on ebay for cd4e, but there seem to be a few kits out there. Which one is needed for a 98 mystique 2.0 ATX?

it depends

it depends

What are you going to do to your trans that you THINK you need a tool kit for?

When I replaced my band, steels, and frictions, and seals I really only needed the seal install tools (not in the standard CD4E tool kit) a set of special bolts (easy to make with a hacksaw) to align the valve body and the oil pump.

Knowing what I know now, I would have only replaced the band and the mimimal other stuff and left everything else alone. Damn few tools required.

Now if you are going to piss away too much money and replace bearings, bushings and other stuff then of course you will need more tools to set clearances and preloads. But at the point just junk the car.

Back