• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 contour 2.0 overheating problem

Iceman

New CEG'er
Hey guys
I have a 97 4-door contour 2.0 with a overheating problem..
befor reading post on the site here the car was getting hot
almost to the red or well past the "L" and no fan...

After reading some posts I've change the tep
coolant sensor, took a wire and jump where the relays were
(allworks ok), checked the relays with a 9 volt battery they click
Now the fan comes on around "A" to "L" I'm thinking its
the high speed fan.. Is there a resistor in the 97 contour 2.0 for the low
speed fan ? If there is anyone have a pic of one ?
I dont remember it ever getting this hot...
Thanks............

So it's only overheating if your not driving?

That sounds like a fan motor, if it's overheating all the time have you checked the thermostat? They go bad a lot on zetecs for some reason.

yes it's only overheating if Im driving I think the low fan speed isnt working....

Have you tried hooking the fan straight to the battery? There should be 3 prongs, if you figure out which one is the negative you should be able to test both settings out and see if its the fan motor.

the coolant temp sender is a very common problem on the Zetecs. it is the sensor in the bottom of the thermostat housing. this sender is what controls the gauge. the sensor on top of the thermostat housing is what the PCM reads (which then controls the fan). for the low speed fan there is a resistor, it is located in the fan shroud at the very bottom, drivers side corner. if it is indeed bad, you have to pull the fan/shroud assembly.

i would replace the temp sending unit (on the bottom of the thermostat housing) first though and see if that fixes the temp gauge.

yes at first the fan didnot work I replaced the top sensor of the thermostat housing for the PCM and now the fan works on high and not low...
I think I may find the resistor and see if thats the problem:help:

Now the fan comes on around "A" to "L" I'm thinking its
the high speed fan

No, that should be the low speed fan... Wait for it to heat up and come on again, then in the engine bay fuse box, pull the big green relay, the fan should shut off since that is the low speed relay...

----------

So it's only overheating if your not driving?
yes it's only overheating if Im driving I think the low fan speed isnt working....

Do you mean when you are not driving, like sitting in traffic?

Back