• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT dying at idle (stopped at light)

jmcgee2000svt

CEG'er
Last night and today for the first few times my car has died while stopped. We noticed it was on light Quarter of a tank when it did this, and we always run Shell Vpower in it.

I have SVT with 125K, with new Ford Racing wires, NGK plugs, Weapon R dragon Intake.

No problems until last night. Was considering changing fuel filter, and maybe running some seafoam thru it. I did dump a bottle of injector cleaner in it.

Any other suggestions/troubleshooting would be helpful. I havent had to change alternator out yet, but have one sitting in my gargage just waiting...Could this be the issue? No Alt. light on yet however. Please let me know...Thanks in advance.

If you can restart it straight away its not the alternator. You should probably try cleaning the IAC. If this is the problem it will just stall out as soon as you take your foot off the gas.

Yes, clean the IAC valve and change the fuel filter first. If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a fuel pump failure. Scan for CEL codes (free service at Autozone and Advanceauto) and post the exact codes.

So far the CEL isnt on but I am going to go get it checked just in case. Basically we had driven it all day today, was full on gas when we left, then by end of day was down to 1/4 tank. We came of I-65 and it died at stop light and has been little erratic on idle and kinda "loping". We have been pondering Idea of Fuel pump, but we will def try the IAC first and filter. I will post any codes tomorrow sometime.

Thanks.

Hey,
I just replaced my IAC $37.99 (autozone)
$57.81 (ford dealership)
Maybe 20mins of my time also.

Mine didn't won't to idle, it would jump it 1500rpm then dip to 400rpm. It would do that 2 or 3 times then die.

i had very similar symptoms with my svt when i got it. replaced all o2 sensors (all were oem with 101k on them) and that completely fixed my problem. you would have a cel for that though. have you ever had the cel on? a couple friends of mine have bought cars that the owner removed the bulb in the instrument panel so that car looked okay. we hooked them up to a scanner and read tonssss of codes

OK guys update...NO CODES WHAT SO EVER, HOWEVER, went outside yesterday ready to clean my IAC, and my air filter is 1/2 hanging off my intake tubing....one of the screws came out of the MAF adapter...SO I got new gasket and put it back together, drove it short time yesterday with no problem....So I have my fingers crossed for today....

Any other suggestions or input let me know...Thanks in advance.

Back