• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do I replace Oxygen sensors?

lunatic

CEG'er
My check engine light came on so I took it to the shop. They told me one of the Oxygen sensors needed to be repaced but that i should replace all of them. Anyways, for a 2nd opinion, I went to Autozone where they ran a diagnostics on it in front of me and it turns out that Bank 2 Sensor 1 is bad.

Where is this located at and how do I replace it? I know I have to pull the car up on ramps, but then what? The shop wants about $730.00 to replace all of them including parts and labor. I want to try it myself without screwing up anything to save some money.

I'd appreicate any help.

Thanks.

BTW-I did a search for Oxygen sensors but nothing came up that discussed removal and instalation.

for specific help we would need more information about your car. (year, engine,etc)

if you're planning on doing maint. yourself, go out and pick up a Haynes manual. also, sometimes autozone has the how-to's on their site.

Holy :censored::censored::censored::censored:! $7XX.00 american dollars for changing oxygen sensors!?!?!?! You can do it yourself EASY. Get the loan-a-tool from your local auto parts store for changing oxygen sensors. The socket will have a slit in the side to allow the wire from the sensor to pass by. All you will need is a 3/8 drive socket wrench, breaker bar of some sort for leverage(floor jack handle works good) and a little time. Front sensor is easy. Rear sensor(firewall side), you might want to remove the coil pac that the spark plug wires are plugged into. I believe it is 4 8mm bolts that are kinda long, so don't get frustrated. All of this is easy and can be done on the top (no going under the car).

If you want, pay me the $7XX.00 and I will fly(airplane) to you and do it for free!

On the V-6, Bank 2 sensor 1 is the upper sensor in the exhaust manifold on the radiator side. It is the easier of the two uppers, to replace. A combination 7/8" or 22mm will remove it, a stubby type is probably easier to use because it fits in there better. I paid $64 each for them when I replaced them a few months back, through Bill Jenkins @ Teamford.

Post the code# that they scaned.

On the V-6, Bank 2 sensor 1 is the upper sensor in the exhaust manifold on the radiator side. It is the easier of the two uppers, to replace. A combination 7/8" or 22mm will remove it, a stubby type is probably easier to use because it fits in there better. I paid $64 each for them when I replaced them a few months back, through Bill Jenkins @ Teamford.

Post the code# that they scaned.

Yes, it's a 99 Contour V6 Automatic. How do I get the wire and the cover thing off, to where I can use the ratchet? It says I need a slotted socket and a "torque wrench" according toHaynes Repair manual. Is the torque wrench the same as a ratchet? Do I just take it out and replace it with a new one? It says something about electrical connector and connector plug. I need as many details as possible because I don't wanna screw this thing up and cause even more problems. I dont have a code, I just know its bank 2 sensor 1.

thanks.

The only thing you could do to screw it up, would be to drop a new sensor and have it not work after it is installed. No need for a torque wrench either. Just when you feel it give you resistance, give it a little more enough to keep it from backing out. This is easy, don't sweat it.

not exactly sure how this works, but whatever...;)

Gives me a little vacation and gets his car fixed all in one. The other option was to pay the dealership the money and have them get a free vacation for a little of their time. That is a TON of $ for a simple job.

I meant free labor :D - He just will pay for the trip and the sensors..... ;)

Okay, I put my car on ramps, rolled under it with one of those "creeper" things. Is the bank 2 sensor 1, the sensor that is right in front of your face when you look up? Looks very easy to get to? On the exhaust manifold towards the front of the car?

If this is the one, than how do I get the little metal (cylinder shaped thing that has a wire running in it) off to where I can use a ratchet to get the bolt loose?

I really want to do this myself, it doesnt look like it's a complicated project.

thanks

Hmmm. I think another mechanic would replace the oxygen sensors for a lot less than $700. If you are not sure about what tools to use, say not familiar with the difference between a torque wrench and a rachet, you might not be mechanically inclined enough to to the rear sensor, perhaps, just perhaps. Respectfully,

Mike

... than how do I get the little metal (cylinder shaped thing that has a wire running in it) off to where I can use a ratchet to get the bolt loose?

thanks

You don't have a regular wrench? Thats all you need. Unplug the sensor slip, the connector through the boxed end of the wrench and remove the sensor it's that easy.

Forget the special socket, use a 22mm or 7/8" wrench.

Okay, I put my car on ramps, rolled under it with one of those "creeper" things. Is the bank 2 sensor 1, the sensor that is right in front of your face when you look up? Looks very easy to get to? On the exhaust manifold towards the front of the car? ...

thanks

Sensor # 1 is always the upper mounted sensor, the lower #2 sensor monitors the upper sensor. The # 1 sensor gives an input signal to the computer so it can adjust the fuel demands for low emissions.
Try to get the code # that was pulled

Okay, heres what I have...

Code is P0153.

Now, I need to make sure I'm replacing the right one. Is the bank 2 sensor 1 clip located right in front of the engine oil dipstick?

Does the sensor part screws into the UPPER part of the exhaust manifold on the same side the radiators located?

If this is correct, than here's another issue: The 4 prongs on the new sensor I bought seem closer together than the ones on the factory sensor. The one I bought is a round shaped BOSCH part # 15718.

The factory sensor has more of a square shape. Can somebody please clear this all up so I know I'm replacing the correct one and how will the new sensor fit when the prongs are closer together than the slots on the factory sensor?

Yes, P0153 is the bank 2 (radiator side) upper sensor. If you are standing in front of the radiator, it is to the left of the exhaust manifold. Note that if you remove the oil filter (put a new filter in after that), you will have more room to maneuver.

If you are still unsure, get the correct O2 sensor, then bring it to our DE meet in 3 weeks. One of us will be able to help you change it out.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=32740

Last edited:
I fixed it. Funny thing is it got confusing until I found out that my 99 Contour has 98 Contour sensors! Mine are square (like the 98's) but the first one I bought was round and it wouldnt fit. I told the guy at Autozone to let me see the 98 sensor, and it was an exact match! Mine was built in 12/98 so i guess Ford had some spare parts they wanted to get rid of.

Anyways, what is the possibility of my other sensors going out now? I only replaced the bad sensor so what is the possibility of the others not being able to communicate with the new one?

I also replaced my fuel filter, that was kinda easy actually.

Anyways, what is the possibility of my other sensors going out now? I only replaced the bad sensor so what is the possibility of the others going out now?

I also replaced my fuel filter, that was kinda easy actually.

It would be a good idea to change the other front bank sensor but its harder to do. As for the filter yes thats a very easy swap thankfully.

Back