• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally doing a 3L

I assumed you were recomending something like ARP bolts:shrug:
That is all.

ARP brand studs are often recommended for the heads. Pudmunkie was talking rods.

And since we're discussing acronyms, in another thread you asked why the UDP was on the alternator. UDP = Under-Drive Pulley. It's installed so that the accessory (e.g. alternator) pulley spins slower. Seems to me you must be thinking of an Over-Drive Pulley (ODP). When installed on the crank, it has the same effect as a UDP; the accessory pulleys slow down. I haven't seen ODPs for our cars, only four-banger imports.

Ok after months of deliberation between getting a new car or doing a 3L swap after i blew a waterpump, I've decided to go with the swap. I've been talking with DangG and it looks as if I'm going to go with a straight 3L. Decision was based on easy of installation since I'm on a time and money restraint.
{J}

When is the install taking place? You gonna come to the meet at Dan's on July 19 and watch a supercharger install on Andy's 3L? Sounds like you passed up on that 3L block for $200 I mentioned.

The SVT heads aren't really visible, even if they were they don't look any different externally from what I remember. I'm not sure what you mean by extra fabricating, the SVT heads requires probably the LEAST fabricating, just filling the holes in the block (i wouldn't consider that fabricating). Then everything would bolt up like stock, I think you're getting heads and manifolds confused.

That's the correct adapter that would allow you to use your 2.5 UIM on the unmodified 3L heads, haven't seen any other finishes.

Honestly I"m trusting Dan to lead me in the right direction. I"ve been researching all the different swaps for a while and yeah its a little confusing. He suggested I just get the adapter since it would be a quicker install.

When is the install taking place? You gonna come to the meet at Dan's on July 19 and watch a supercharger install on Andy's 3L? Sounds like you passed up on that 3L block for $200 I mentioned.

It looks like the install is going to take place early August since he's busy doing the supercharger and other things. I'm gonna try to make it that weekend. I'm in Fairfax now and my coolant light kept coming on on the way up here. Also my ac went out yesterday, so who knows how many trips this thing is gonna last for:laugh: I didn't pass up on the block. The seller never responded to my PM.:shrug:

ARP brand studs are often recommended for the heads. Pudmunkie was talking rods.

And since we're discussing acronyms, in another thread you asked why the UDP was on the alternator. UDP = Under-Drive Pulley. It's installed so that the accessory (e.g. alternator) pulley spins slower. Seems to me you must be thinking of an Over-Drive Pulley (ODP). When installed on the crank, it has the same effect as a UDP; the accessory pulleys slow down. I haven't seen ODPs for our cars, only four-banger imports.

To be honest, i always refer to UDP to be in association with a UD crank pulley.

Sometimes i forget they are used in other areas :crazy:

man that sux bro hope all turns out well im sure the 3.0L will be better anyways.... so u must be the guy DanG told me he just made a list for lol i had him send the list to me too. I have a slight tick that just showed up today after a oil change dont know what it is so i was gonna try to wait a little but im thinkin mid/late august now (if it lasts that long) im close to you if you find any motors that you dont want when you find yours send me the info please i need to pick one up soon(shipping is crazy it almost as much as the motor i might go get it if i can find a reasonable one within 250 miles. And goodluck with the swap DanG seems to be really on top of this platform hes gonna do mine for sure.

man that sux bro hope all turns out well im sure the 3.0L will be better anyways.... so u must be the guy DanG told me he just made a list for lol i had him send the list to me too. I have a slight tick that just showed up today after a oil change dont know what it is so i was gonna try to wait a little but im thinkin mid/late august now (if it lasts that long) im close to you if you find any motors that you dont want when you find yours send me the info please i need to pick one up soon(shipping is crazy it almost as much as the motor i might go get it if i can find a reasonable one within 250 miles. And goodluck with the swap DanG seems to be really on top of this platform hes gonna do mine for sure.

Yeah I probably am. If you're serious about picking up the engines let me know. I found a couple cheap ones, but I don't have anyway of getting them. Give me your zip code and I can see how far they are from you. If you can, maybe you can pick mine up for me:D

yeah man i have a truck i need to get a motor too and i dont want to pay some crazy shipping. my zip is 22485 let me know.... im going out of town this weekend for the 4th but ill be back on sunday late so let me know what you find out and how you want to work this out & we could both be on our way to the 3.0L

yeah man i have a truck i need to get a motor too and i dont want to pay some crazy shipping. my zip is 22485 let me know.... im going out of town this weekend for the 4th but ill be back on sunday late so let me know what you find out and how you want to work this out & we could both be on our way to the 3.0L

PM sent

LilCe98 just PMed me on NECO about this thread- So this is the first I've seen of it.

When I found out that the NPG adapters were a reality, I was very interested in them for obvious reasons. I gave both LilCe98 and Sick2000Svt the same set of options:

1) 3L hybrid: Requires welding and resurfacing of the block to plug the oil return holes and B1 supply line not present on the pre-2001 2.5L heads. I am not and never have been comfortable JBWelding the holes or using "Mighty Putty" or whatever the hell that loud-mouth on TV shills. My welder preheats the block before welding to ensure no warpage occurs. That job's too big for my little EconoTIG.

If you're using '01 or '02 heads, no modification is necessary, as they have the 3rd oil return. Just add 3L head gaskets and a full set of head bolts to the list that was posted. Natural compression ratio is above 11.2:1- No good for F/I or basically doing anything else to it.

2) Adapted 3L: 3L block and heads, NPG adapter-LIM that goes 3L oval port heads to 2.5L split port UIM. All we'd need is the NPG adapters, nothing else- Everything from your motor will fit*.

3) Full 3L: 3L everything, including fuel rail, UIM, TB, IACV, EGR. Requires the most fabrication and time, the least "clean" of any install. My first attempt wasn't terrific, but maybe second time around will be better??? Requires extensive modification and more of my time to make it work. Even then, I've seen the IACV hit and dent the hood when you close it.

Then I read a recent addition to NPG's description for the adapters:

**** the LIM fuel rail needs to be 2001-2004 escape only or a VVT mazda 6 fuel rail*******

Fabulous. Obviously, a '01-'04 ANY fuel rail won't be return-style, so it looks like I'll be fabbing the fuel rail regardless. If that's the case, maybe the adapters aren't worth it...

LilCe98 just PMed me on NECO about this thread- So this is the first I've seen of it.

When I found out that the NPG adapters were a reality, I was very interested in them for obvious reasons. I gave both LilCe98 and Sick2000Svt the same set of options:

1) 3L hybrid: Requires welding and resurfacing of the block to plug the oil return holes and B1 supply line not present on the pre-2001 2.5L heads. I am not and never have been comfortable JBWelding the holes or using "Mighty Putty" or whatever the hell that loud-mouth on TV shills. My welder preheats the block before welding to ensure no warpage occurs. That job's too big for my little EconoTIG.

If you're using '01 or '02 heads, no modification is necessary, as they have the 3rd oil return. Just add 3L head gaskets and a full set of head bolts to the list that was posted. Natural compression ratio is above 11.2:1- No good for F/I or basically doing anything else to it.

2) Adapted 3L: 3L block and heads, NPG adapter-LIM that goes 3L oval port heads to 2.5L split port UIM. All we'd need is the NPG adapters, nothing else- Everything from your motor will fit*.

3) Full 3L: 3L everything, including fuel rail, UIM, TB, IACV, EGR. Requires the most fabrication and time, the least "clean" of any install. My first attempt wasn't terrific, but maybe second time around will be better??? Requires extensive modification and more of my time to make it work. Even then, I've seen the IACV hit and dent the hood when you close it.

Then I read a recent addition to NPG's description for the adapters:

Fabulous. Obviously, a '01-'04 ANY fuel rail won't be return-style, so it looks like I'll be fabbing the fuel rail regardless. If that's the case, maybe the adapters aren't worth it...

NPG fuel rail block. Im using it on my full 3.0, you can use it with the nautilus adapters as well.

Does anyone know if Steve at Tousley Ford has an email address? I can never seem to get the chance to call him during their business hours

Does anyone know if Steve at Tousley Ford has an email address? I can never seem to get the chance to call him during their business hours

The Parts Department at Tousley does not have an email address publicly advertised.

In his signature at FocalJet, Steve says to call the 800 number and ask for either him or Kevin.

Alternatively, you could register at FocalJet and send him a PM with your order. I do that every couple days. :eek:

What are you ordering? If Salisbury is near I-495, I would be happy to split shipping with you...

The Parts Department at Tousley does not have an email address publicly advertised.

In his signature at FocalJet, Steve says to call the 800 number and ask for either him or Kevin.

Alternatively, you could register at FocalJet and send him a PM with your order. I do that every couple days. :eek:

What are you ordering? If Salisbury is near I-495, I would be happy to split shipping with you...

I'm ordering the things i need for this swap. I"m actually getting the swap done at Dan's place so if you wanna split shipping thats cool. I need to start gathering these parts. Time is running out on me.

EDIT: Looks like they have a website now http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/585125-online-ordering.html

I'm ordering the things i need for this swap. I"m actually getting the swap done at Dan's place so if you wanna split shipping thats cool. I need to start gathering these parts. Time is running out on me.

EDIT: Looks like they have a website now http://forums.focaljet.com/tousley-ford/585125-online-ordering.html

Yeah, I will be visiting Dan next weekend, so I can drive your stuff out there then if we can order it in time to do so (i.e. Monday).

In addition to the essential swap stuff, I recommend replacing your water pump, your t-stat, your PCV, your spark plugs and wires, and upper O2 sensors, if you haven't done so in the last 50K miles. Oh, and pickup a DMD or UDP and belt if you think you'll eventually want it. Last but not least, get your headers coated before you install them! Much much easier that way.

Yeah, I will be visiting Dan next weekend, so I can drive your stuff out there then if we can order it in time to do so (i.e. Monday).

In addition to the essential swap stuff, I recommend replacing your water pump, your t-stat, your PCV, your spark plugs and wires, and upper O2 sensors, if you haven't done so in the last 50K miles. Oh, and pickup a DMD or UDP and belt if you think you'll eventually want it. Last but not least, get your headers coated before you install them! Much much easier that way.

Thanks for the help. I may be up there next week for the meet as well. I'm not sure yet. It depends on if I feel the car can make the trip. The water pump was just replaced last week and the plugs about 10K ago. I'll probably change them anyway and get new wires. I know i replaced one of the 02 sensors but i'm not sure which. I'l have to check my records. We're going to use the Bugzuki plates and port the heads. I just sent Dan a PM on NECO to give me an updated list of things I needed.

Back