• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

I'm in the final stages of the install and I'll tell you right now to remove the coolant cross tube at the front of the motor BEFORE you drop it in the engine bay. I left mine on and had to remove it after it was in. Why? Because the compressor bracket and lines interfere with it. You have to install 1 bolt in the compressor to block loosely and then jockey the coolant tube into place while taking care to line up the position where the 2 bolt together. I dicked around with this for at least an hr. yesterday before I got it right.

You should also remove the rr/RH header. It is easy to install after the motor's in the engine bay without the alternator or intermediate driveshaft and all the brackets in the way. Otherwise, it just gets in the way when you're jockeying the drivetrain in to place. Plus you don't have to worry about scratching the paint coating on the header.

My install s/b finished this weekend. We'll see how it goes...

He is right. You're going to have a hell of a time with that sending unit like that. Seems like the y pipe and that damn crossover and getting it lined up with the A/C line is the largest time waster. On some swaps I don't have an issue but if I don't do one in a while I have to wrestle with it forever. It sucks because it's hard to tighten the 2 crossover tube bolts when it's in. I think you can leave them loose or leave at least the one on the right side fairly tight and leave the left off until you get it in.

So wouldnt this mean that the motor was torn down to the point where you could have painted everything if they pulled the rods and everything to check bearings?

I just took the motor to them. They tore it all apart and re-assembled. I just wanted it back asap and honestly didn't want to paint it.

I was trying to remember back when I took the motor out and don't recall having problems with anything hitting, but I gotta take your guys' word for it because you have been there already...... I will do what you suggested. Thanks

I agree 100% with removing the coolant cross over. But not the header. I didn't have any issues getting mine in and out with them installed.

I agree 100% with removing the coolant cross over. But not the header. I didn't have any issues getting mine in and out with them installed.

i had both headers on mine, and i had left the compressor and crossover tube in the car when i took the engine out.

I was debating leaving the compressor off, but my AC system has been changed and it was not charged. Most remove the compressor so they don't loose the charge. I will try with the compressor and headers on, but will definetly remove the cross-over tube to free up a little space.

i never had to take anything off the only thing i couldnt have on the engine when dropping them in is the oil filter. but this time i didnt run an oil cooler so i could put it on anyways.

remove the plastic pieces where the wipers are and you should have clearance to get everything in. in your case, with everything painted so nicely, i would just remove them to prevent scratching.

Also hang the wiring harness on the engine. That back area would be a PITA to install later. I don't know if you had planned on that or not. Just an FYI. Heck you can put the injectors and it's wiring on and put the UIM on before it goes in.

Well, I didn't remove anything. It slid right in without scratching any paint :shrug: Maybe my engine bay is bigger :laugh:. I had the x-over tube, ac compressor, DMD, headers, aftermarket oil pressure sending unit, all still mounted.

I had a dream last night that I started the engine with no oil in it and it locked up within a couple seconds of running. I woke up in a puddle of sweat and tears........

BTW.............

THE MOTOR IS IN!

Everything is hooked up. I need to powder coat/install the battery tray and install the radiator.

My hands are a little puffy from working on it yesterday. I want to start this NOW! :eek:

joe,what lim are you using again? if your using the stocker do you have any plans to upgrade it? its pretty easy to convert the a imrc one to vac operated.

I am just using the '95 vac lim and 17# injectors. I will probably lengthen the injection time when I get it dyno tuned so I am not running lean on top and will drive in low to mid RPMs until then so I don't screw anything up.

I think Mosh offered me a vac operated SVT lim before.

I will probably lengthen the injection time when I get it dyno tuned so I am not running lean on top.
If you run lean, it won't be from the injectors. As long as the injectors, MAF & PCM are all from the same model, the PCM will adjust the fuel accordingly and you won't run lean anywhere.

I DD'd my 3L hybrid for almost a year, (including countless dyno runs), with 17lb injectors and never had a lean issue.

good work Joe. Now make sure you take your time and make sure everything is installed/connected correctly before you start it up.

gotcha,well if you decide to tackle it yourself lmk if you need pics or something. i just did one the otherday.

BTW.............

THE MOTOR IS IN!

Everything is hooked up. I need to powder coat/install the battery tray and install the radiator.

My hands are a little puffy from working on it yesterday. I want to start this NOW! :eek:

Congrats man, Can't wait to stop in and see the finshed product. Nice Work!:shocked:

I had this huge thing typed up for everyone to read and my computer locked up :nonono: so you guys get the short end of the stick. This below sums it up.

1 ground wire from motor to chassis was needed. I turned the key with the coil unplugged and the gas pedal to the floor. Let it rev for about 10 seconds. Plugged the coil in, and......

IT'S ALIVE!

I am officially in the 3L club, boo ya!

Idle is perfect, and for the few seconds we let it run, all seemed well :)

I have a small drip from the fitting for the power steering pump, that's it for now..... I was shaking the entire time.

But for you guys, here is my first posted movie from our new camera I got for getting married!

--------Movie-----------this--------way----> * *

45547060.Cheers.gif
Congrats Joe. :D

Back