• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just installed new Drums, shoes, and cylinders... help

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I just got all new parts for my rear drums, except for the springs. I got shoes, drums, and cylinders and i got them all on yesterday and they viberate like crazy. I know its the rears cuz if i pull the e-brake up one click it viberates really bad. any suggestions???

i took the car to the shop, they checked the drums and they are round, they were saying that the shoes on the other hand are not. He put the old drums back on and the problem continued and he check my assembly and everything was fine.

Most likely the arc of the shoes do not match the arc of the drum, so that the lining to drum contact is near the ends instead of the middle. Look for the witness marks on the lining.

Before installing the shoes, it is wise to confirm proper arc by placing the shoe in the drum and checking contact. The shoe should "rock" slightly from end to end. If it doesn't, the shoe can be slightly deformed by hold it up-right on concrete and hitting the top of the shoe with a hammer (don't do it too hard, all you want to do is slightly tweak the shoe to make it slightly shorter, altering the arc).

If you get the shoe to better fit the drum, your brake shudder should go away.

the shoes are only making contact on the inner part of the shoe, the outter part of the shoe hasnt made contact yet.

sounds like your new drums need to be turned, same thing happened to me when I got new drums, I threw them on there and the rear brakes would vibrate like crazy, had them turned, went away entirely.

did you clean off the stuff they spray on the drums to keep them from rusting in the box?

Not a bad idea because it's slippery grease (grease isn't prone to help breaking!). Just blast it off with some brake parts cleaner.

Back