• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

moonroof

ohiocsvt

CEG'er
ok after about an hour of seaching i can't find any answers on this. i'm lookin for suggestions on removing my mooroof and assem. (for overhead weight reasons) what should i use to cover the hole, fibreglass? piece of sheet metal? anyone done this? what can i expect to save in weight?

i just found out yesterday that svt's are about 300lbs heavier then my GL. i dont know where the weight comes from but i dont think a sunroof would be very heavy other then the glass. i dont think it would be worth the work to take it off. i read somwhere before that you only save an average of about .10 seconds on the 1/4 mile for every 100lbs you knock off. so unless your doing a massive weight reduction and you race theres not much of a point. if you still wanna do it i would think the best way to do it would be sheet metal. but i dontthink theres any possible way to get it to look perfect. like you have to have the sheet metal perfectly shaped and contoured to fit the roof then you would have to weld it or sumthin and keep it perfectly aligned the whole time. i guess afterwards you might beable to bondo the imperfections out. its really probably not worth the work.

well i don't race at all just do alot of spirited driving. and i need to find a way to lose some overhead weight. actually i was talking to a buddy of mine (who does custom carbon fibre work) he wants to make me a fibre roof :drool:he said he will do mine for cost as long as i come on here and tell ya'll:shocked:

I'd just leave the glass in and take out the motor and assembly if your worried about weight. It'd be a lot easier than redoing half the roof. Or you could get some plexiglass or lexan cut to fit it, it'd prolly be lighter than sheet metal and you'd still have the luxury of having a sunroof.

but the motor doesn't weigh much. as far as i can tell the weight is mostly in the glass. but now i am really considering doing the carbon roof:drool:

Well, what is involved to take the roof panels off in these cars? Is it even possible? If it was possible I'd say we can trade roofs and headliners since I don't have a moonroof...but I doubt that it would be an easy task because they are probably welded to the rest of the car. That would be kinda sick to have a carbon fiber roof though...itd def be unique.

Were there models that had the sunroof and not the moonroof? In my old mazda group people would find a sunroof and take the metal cap that dropped right into the moonroof hole and got rid of the whole assembly. I remember them weighing about 100 pounds altogether with the glass, motor and tracks.

Were there models that had the sunroof and not the moonroof? In my old mazda group people would find a sunroof and take the metal cap that dropped right into the moonroof hole and got rid of the whole assembly. I remember them weighing about 100 pounds altogether with the glass, motor and tracks.

All of the stock ones are made of glass and do not have the metal cap...

if anyone knows someone to make a cf or even fiber glass plug to fit where the sunroof goes please let me know? i could honestly care less about the use of the sunroof and would much rather reduce the weight of the car

ok so i talked to my buddy and he will make me a entire roof from cf for the cost of materials. (est. $450) thats the route i'm going to go. thanks everyone for the imput

yeah all on it. while we have it stipped down he's talking of more cf (fenders door skins blah blah) i can feel my wallet shrinking :help:

What about replacing the glass with plexiglass? Would save on the weight, and you wouldn't loose any functionality.

If you took it completely out, you'd have to fill the hole in, repaint the roof, and replace the headliner. Probably not worth the time and money for dropping maybe 15-20 pounds.

If you took it completely out, you'd have to fill the hole in, repaint the roof, and replace the headliner. Probably not worth the time and money for dropping maybe 15-20 pounds.

To some people it is though since thats one of the worst places to have extra pounds when you want handling. Its a big reason some Evo models have an aluminum roof instead of the regular steel.

A decent body shop can make a roof fill plug for the car moon roof area. If the track has the correct spacing, the body shop can use a retaining clip for the roof fill plug that would allow you to be able to put the glass roof back in, at a later time, install the plug, make sure it does not leak and I am sure they would be happy to paint it up for you too. Just another idea.

Back