• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question on sub/amp setup

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
Alright, no laughing... I really know next to nothing about stereos, speakers, or any of that. This is the first car I've ever had with anything more than an aftermarket deck. :blackeye: Factory "Premium Sound" has always been good enough! :laugh:
I've had my Contour for a little over a year, and I have some questions regarding the sub. I'd like to go with something that has a smaller footprint. Here is what I'm dealing with now...
(Sorry for the crappy pics. I'm at work... working. :laugh:)
5 Channel 900W amp.
amp.JPG

I have no clue on what this sub is, other than it is a *Super BASS Probox* with a Pioneer sub in it. :laugh:
speak1.JPG

speak2.JPG

I'd like to get similar sound (which is actually pretty good) but have a smaller footprint in my trunk. Ideally I'd like to tip this one on it's side, but its too tall.
I'm pretty handy, and my dad has a table saw. I could build my own with the FAQ's here, but I don't know what size sounds good, what sounds bad, etc...
If you need to know, the music I listen to is mostly rock... Tool, Ozzy, Van Halen, current rock too.
Anyone have any thoughts for what I can do?
Could I simply match the LxWxH and make a new box and expect the sound to be close? Obviously I'm no audiophile, so close is all I need.
Thanks,
Erick --

If you have a table saw I'd just chop that box into a cube, screw it back together and call it a day.

Buy or have someone build you a vented box, it'll allow you to have a smaller enclosure while still having the loudness that you want...

do you have any idea what size the sub is? have you taken the sub out of the box to check what model it is? if you can get the model and size you can get the specs on the sub and have a box built to those specs that would a)have a smaller footprint and b)have better sound than your current box.

I think the sub is a 10". I was browsing the old forums looking for ideas... I ran across an Infinity Basslink. The link was to a discontinued model, but they do have a newer model out now that looks pretty inviting.
Self powered, self contained, and small for a 10".
Crutchfield link
Not bad for my money. I can attach this to the seat back or under the rear deck. :shrug:
Erick --
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/the goods

I think the sub is a 10". I was browsing the old forums looking for ideas... I ran across an Infinity Basslink. The link was to a discontinued model, but they do have a newer model out now that looks pretty inviting.
Self powered, self contained, and small for a 10".
Crutchfield link
Not bad for my money. I can attach this to the seat back or under the rear deck. :shrug:
Erick --
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/the goods

If you really want an all i one... I'll tell you two things though, it's not ported so it won't be a really noticeable bass, and two if your going to get a basslink, you might as well get the one that has the expansion bay for adding a 4-channel amp to it. ( if your going for compact..)

Or for almost the same price....

12" Rockford Fosgate P1 (300W RMS IIRC) (89.99)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1170289779897#productdetail

Ported Q Logic Box for 12" sub (122.99)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7008542&type=product&id=1099392684268

Pioneer 300W Bridgeable Amp 150W RMS @ 4ohm bridged (109.99)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1202650466597#productdetail

322.97 + tax... Amp isn't all that great for this setup, but trying to keep it cheap...

lmao@ that box...1.25cu is not enough for a ported 12, not to mention those boxes are a joke and for less then 30$ you can build your own.

I don't get when you said 'if its not ported it wont be noticable bass'

While ported IS louder, sealed is not quiet, there are tons of subs that have great output in sealed boxes.

Build a sealed box for it, throw the rated RMS power to it and it will sound fine.

If you want something small but loud grab a soundsplinter RL-i 8" throw it in a 1 cube box tuned to 32hz and throw 400rms to it. small and loud....

lmao@ that box...1.25cu is not enough for a ported 12, not to mention those boxes are a joke and for less then 30$ you can build your own.

I don't get when you said 'if its not ported it wont be noticable bass'

While ported IS louder, sealed is not quiet, there are tons of subs that have great output in sealed boxes.

Build a sealed box for it, throw the rated RMS power to it and it will sound fine.

If you want something small but loud grab a soundsplinter RL-i 8" throw it in a 1 cube box tuned to 32hz and throw 400rms to it. small and loud....

Have you ever listened to a basslink sub??? Not all the much bass....

That enclosure would be okay for that sub... The P1S412 only needs 1.79 cu. ft. (50.69 liters) for a vented enclosure... Not exactly perfect... but it would work... I didn't say it was perfect... If he really wanted to, those enclosures come with plastic that will allow you to cover the port and make it a sealed box.... the same sub calls for an enclosed space Range: 0.70 cu. ft. - 1.80 cu. ft. which that box would do just fine for....

Not everyone feels comfortable building their own boxes, some people do, some people don't....

He's looking to save space and keep sound..... I figured he could reuse his sub and put it in a ported box which would be smaller and still have a good bump to it....

Last edited:
Have you ever listened to a basslink sub??? Not all the much bass....
what do you expect for 200w 10" in a smaller then optimal enclosure??

If he really wanted to, those enclosures come with plastic that will allow you to cover the port and make it a sealed box.... the same sub calls for an enclosed space Range: 0.70 cu. ft. - 1.80 cu. ft. which that box would do just fine for....
why do that? aren't you the one who said sealed are quiet??

Not everyone feels comfortable building their own boxes, some people do, some people don't....
Building a sealed box is not exactly rocket science. There are MANY, and i repeat MANY online calculators that can give you exact cutsheets and you can go to homedepot and have the boards cut, then you pre-drill and glue/screw it together, then use a jigsaw to cut the hole for the woofer. If you don't want to there are many people around the internet who can build you a professional and PROPER built enclosure for 2 times less then what that box cost.

He's looking to save space and keep sound..... I figured he could reuse his sub and put it in a ported box which would be smaller and still have a good bump to it....
Ported boxes are always bigger then sealed boxes, if he wants to save space then he would go sealed.

I always do boxes for people based on what their music preference is. Someone likes rap and techno, i say go ported. Rock and country (bleh) i say go sealed. Simply because the ported seem to be a bit boomier and the sealed have more of a quick punch.

if your ported boxes are 'boomy' then you're not building then right. I to, use to think sealed sounded better untill i built my first proper ported box. Never turned back again.

if your ported boxes are 'boomy' then you're not building then right. I to, use to think sealed sounded better untill i built my first proper ported box. Never turned back again.

Sealed enclosures will sound better because there is less tuning involved and they can play a broader frequency range versus a ported enclosure that has a specific tuned output which means they are going to make the most at one frequency... Granted the ported will be lounder than the sealed since sound is based on air movement, and lets face it, you can move a lot more air with a ported sub than a sealed sub....

I didn't meant to stir a hornets nest... :blackeye:
I do appreciate the guidance though. I'll probably try to build a box that has the same dimensions as my current box, but make it more upright. I'm still kicking the idea of that Basslink though. That or IB would be SO EASY! :cool:
Erick --

infinite baffle is almost impossible to do since most current subs are not suited for it. building a box of similar volume will probably be your best bet.

Sealed enclosures will sound better because there is less tuning involved and they can play a broader frequency range versus a ported enclosure that has a specific tuned output which means they are going to make the most at one frequency... Granted the ported will be lounder than the sealed since sound is based on air movement, and lets face it, you can move a lot more air with a ported sub than a sealed sub....

Ported enclosures don't "make the most" at one frequency unless you design them for SPL competition and a one note wonder is the goal.
A good sub in a properly tuned ported enclosure will produce a flat response curve, get LOW, and play noticably louder than sealed at the same power.
The only real drawbacks are they're larger, and take more time to design and build.

In going from sealed to ported I've noticed a couple differences. The sealed enclosure rolled off a lot earlier in the low range than my ported enclosure.
On the other hand - above 80 or so the sealed set up kept sounding good whereas the ported gets sloppy. That's not an issue though, as my mids are more than capable of covering the 70-80 range.

My sealed set up had 2 12's in a 3.0cf box each getting 350w rms. My ported set up is a single 12 in 2.6cf, tuned at 28hz getting 700w rms. The single sub is as loud or louder than the pair was.

Last edited:
Back