• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

help on picking an amp

mackgeezy

CEG'er
whats up yall, as i stated in an earlier topic i recently came across some blaupunkt vw1200 subwoofers, i have a little amp right now, but im looking to upgrade and dont really know what amps are good out there... the subs are dvc and each subwoofer itself can handle up to 2400watts or 1200rms each
my pockets arnt that deep, could someone point me in the right direction for a choice of amp ... something near what the sub can handle but what my pockets can handle also

STOP READING THE PEAK BS STAMPED ON THE AMP!!!

That amp is:
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 500 W x 1
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 850 W x 1

Amen brother! I'm so tired of hearing everybody talk about how their subs can handle 2000 watts and their amps put out 4000 watts lol. I guess I'm biased too as I was around when there was truly some high end audio "early 90's". I still laugh today because I'm running a PPI A300 to 2 JL 10w3's and I bet they sound better than most of the garbage people have been installing lately. That's with just 150 watts rms to each sub lol. Ok enough venting and on to your setup... I believe those subs are dual 2 ohms which meens you can have a final impedance of 2 ohms or .5 ohm. You're probably not going to come across too many .5 ohm stable amps unless you want to look into some old school Orion HCCA amps or maybe some U.S. amps. Personally I would probably go with a final impedance of 2 ohms. Below are 2 amps that would work well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-BP1200-1-MO...ryZ64570QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Speaking of old school US amps: Phenomenal amp!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-US-AMPS-US...ryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know lots of you guys on here dislike Sony products, but to toss it out there...

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/amplifiers/XM-1252GTR
I have it bridged 340wRMSx1 to 4ohm

That is the amp I have powering my subs (4ohm)

It's nothing great, but it was really cheap and gets me some better quality sound :shrug:. I paid $100 for the amp on sale, and $125 for the subs on sale. Can't really go wrong with that...

STOP READING THE PEAK BS STAMPED ON THE AMP!!!

That amp is:
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 500 W x 1
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 850 W x 1

I wasn't reading the peak BS. I was pointing the dude in a direction. 850 rms might not be too close to 1200 rms(70%), but the price certainly fits half of his requirements.

my pockets arnt that deep, could someone point me in the right direction for a choice of amp ... something near what the sub can handle but what my pockets can handle also

I wasn't reading the peak BS. I was pointing the dude in a direction. 850 rms might not be too close to 1200 rms(70%), but the price certainly fits half of his requirements.

True, but the problem he is going to run into with your suggestion is his subs are 2ohm DVC. His wiring options with that amp aren't the best, to use that 2ohm load option he would have to spread it across both subs (2400w RMS)

Mackgeezy got a good deal on the subs but with that kind of power handling there just isn't much of a budget amp you can get to mesh with them.

For low budget amps check out Crunch amps. They have been owned by Maxxsonics for the last few years (they own Hifonics and MB Quart etc..) and have really stepped it up in quality but not price. You should be able to get a very high power amplifier for under $250 with them, I'm just not up to date on the current models available.

i think the 9102 is 1 ohm stable... one of the kenwood amps that they sell at retailers like best buy... iirc its the 9102 is actually 1 ohm stable... or 9103. either way its not too expensive.

I have a new Crunch amp in my car. You can't go wrong with one of those. I have the PZi 1000. It wouldn't be big enough for your subs but they do make em bigger. I also have MTX in my car as well. They are a little more pricey but they rock. Check out onlinecarstereo.com. The prices are hard to beat.

allright thanks for your help... i think i have some ideas now... its either between these amps can i get some opinions on the best of these now?
thanks

Kenwood KAC-9102D
crunch pzi 1000.1
sony xm - d9001gtr

im kind of leaning for the crunch... after all it can handle 1ohms with 1000 watts also which is pretty damn close .... but what do yall think? im kind of sketchy on the whole ebay thing... is ebay better then how it was a few years ago?

Back