• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need some help with overheating

Well!
I read all the thread!
I wish to ask a simple question which applies to almost all cars radiator fan relays!
When you short the low current pins of the relays (both), does the fans turn on, or not?! If yas the fans,resistor, relays are all good.

yes the fans work when i short them. I said that in like 3 of my posts now in this thread. So im not sure why you asked.

and i still haven't tested with my ohm reader from the the ecu to small relay pin yet.

Sounds like what happened to my 96 SE after my 3L swap. I could jump and get the fans to come on and that was it. Looked at everything. Parted out the car. LOL! Check all the wiring under the fuse box too. Could have a loose connection inside. Also look at the 3 yellow fuses with the clear top in there. Make sure they're all good.

I can not find where did you say!! when you short the LOW CURRENT PIN, (I means bring power from the battery directly to the low current pin by a little piece of wire!), the relays click and fans come to power!?
any way, If you have done this it means thet the relays are good, fans are good too,
to see if there is current at low current circuit of relay, let the car heat up,then test with a test light, or a bulb and a piece of wire, or multimeter,... to see if there is power or not.
I do not know if the small pins are low current cicuit pins or others, Please notice! in a relay when the car is turn on: one of the relay pins always has power, other pin: when you short it the fans come to work but if it is high current pin, it does not mean anything, that the relay is OK or dead, because it goes directly to fans!...

yea the three yellow fuses are good. I've moved em around just to make sure. And i did say i jumped the fans and they worked. A few times actually.

and i'm gonna test the ecu wiring to relay wiring like FavoriteMystaquehttp://contour.org/ceg-vb/member.php?u=37716 said and see if it's the wiring. I'm about ready to just bypass the stuff and make it so the low fan is always on....

Dude,what happened?
Did u ever find out what was causing that problem?

I have a similar problem....

On my SVT the low fan never comes on..neither with AC on,nor with jumping the wires!! High fan comes on when the temp reaches 226F which is close to overheating!
On my V6 SE low speed doesnt come on normal,but only with AC on...

I read all the forums and still cant figure out what the problem is!!!

hey sorry, i don't drive the car as much anymore, I haven't been able to use my multimeter to check the wires. I am going to try and get some time to do it this weekend.

incase it makes any difference this is what my fuse box looks like. All the fuses are good. I'm going to try and see if i can get a 12v signal in the small pin spot going to the relays.
0521081817uk7.jpg

I see in post 37 you had picture of your fuse box. That link doesn't seem to work. could you possibly repost that pic? I'm interested in this thread as a neighbor was having a similar issue with his zetec atx car. No fans with a/c on, but he never complained of overheating.

Urs look much different than mine...

Still has the same relays...:)

BTW,does anybody know how to change the resistor on the low speed fan without taking the whole assembly off and also where i can find a new one?
I found out that my problem was a BAD resistor... so the problem is kind of fixed!

not really wanting to make a new thread, but how can i bypass everything, and make it so the fan always spins without a cel?? just like make the jump with a wire a inplace full deal kinda thing. I don't have time to figure out my problem, and if the fan was spinning all the time, that would solve any overheating issues.

is that the modenino or watever fix?

thanks

just so i make sure and do this right......lol
i splice into the black wire with the white line? and ground that to the frame/fender or something along those lines.

just so i make sure and do this right......lol
i splice into the black wire with the white line? and ground that to the frame/fender or something along those lines.
Yes, splice a wire into the black wire with the white line, and then ground the new wire. Make sure the ground is on metal and not paint.

Back