• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 vs. 99 or 00

I believe that the '00 had revised syncros or some such in the tranny.

Part way into 2000 production (early January 2000 IIRC) the trans was revised. The main change was roller bearing 1-2 shift fork, the best answer to cold shift problems. I don't know what all other changes were made, but the fluid capacity dropped from 2.7 quarts to 2.2 quarts and Ford started installing "Honey" manual trans fluid.

and less deathtraply. I still can't believe Ford didn't consider the 99-00 warp to be a nonexpiring safety recall.

and less deathtraply. I still can't believe Ford didn't consider the 99-00 warp to be a nonexpiring safety recall.

yeah, but be honest, after seeing the way ford repaired your dash would you really want them to fix it.

I sure am glad the 99 I just bought has dash warp, that means it has all the bolts holding it in place!

'95 is the best - you will all probably 3L your SVTs and make them worth less anyway :ponder: - so why not get a '95 :shrug:

yeah, but be honest, after seeing the way ford repaired your dash would you really want them to fix it.
ugh that's true.

For those who don't know the story: My tan dash was fully replaced under the 3yr/36k warranty by a Ford dealer due to warp (this was before the recall occurred). When turbo_fox and I were taking it apart, we discovered that half of the bolts were missing. :help:

ugh that's true.

For those who don't know the story: My tan dash was fully replaced under the 3yr/36k warranty by a Ford dealer due to warp (this was before the recall occurred). When turbo_fox and I were taking it apart, we discovered that half of the bolts were missing. :help:

wow that's nice! Do they all end up getting dashwarp? Where can you buy the kits to fix it?

Last edited:
My silver E0 had a '00 replacement engine, and it felt noticeably faster than the original-engined T-red E0 that I have now. I don't know if anything else was done to that silver car (I was a CSVT virgin then) but I do know that the intake and exhaust were all original, but they may have done something else that was not apparant.

When I went looking for a second CSVT I wouldn't even look at them unless they were E0. I wanted the better-handling version instead of the extra 5hp. I can get the extra hp more easily and less expensively than getting the whole suspension redone.

As a side note, I like the E0 rims better, too.

Part way into 2000 production (early January 2000 IIRC) the trans was revised. The main change was roller bearing 1-2 shift fork, the best answer to cold shift problems. I don't know what all other changes were made, but the fluid capacity dropped from 2.7 quarts to 2.2 quarts and Ford started installing "Honey" manual trans fluid.

Does anyone know exactly when it was revised? I have a January 10th build date and its car #1400. Hmm I wonder.

Ford's record keeping is lousy. Often you can't believe what they publish about such things. For example Ford catalogs show the change in front brake calipers for the SVT to be 5/99. It was actually much sooner, perhaps as early as 2/98 when the E1 was introduced.

That said, you may have the revised trans. According to TSB 00-01-09 the new fluid is to be used on any manual trans Contique built after January 1, 2000.

Back