• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Testing the ckp sensor

Ifordman98

CEG'er
TESTING

1.Measure the voltage between the sensor CKP sensor terminals by backprobing the sensor connector.

2.If the connector cannot be backprobed, fabricate or purchase a test harness.

3.Sensor voltage should be more than 0.1 volt AC with the engine running and should vary with engine RPM.

4.If voltage is not within specification, the sensor may be faulty.

I understand this procedure, but its kind of a catch 22. How can i test the sensor by running the car if the car wont run because the sensor is bad to begin with? Is there a way to check it for continuity or any other way because the sensor is out and im looking right at it.

TESTING

1.Measure the voltage between the sensor CKP sensor terminals by backprobing the sensor connector.

2.If the connector cannot be backprobed, fabricate or purchase a test harness.

3.Sensor voltage should be more than 0.1 volt AC with the engine running and should vary with engine RPM.

4.If voltage is not within specification, the sensor may be faulty.

I understand this procedure, but its kind of a catch 22. How can i test the sensor by running the car if the car wont run because the sensor is bad to begin with? Is there a way to check it for continuity or any other way because the sensor is out and im looking right at it.

I don't know that this is relevant here, but when I used to work on Taurus SHOs, we talked a bit about crank position sensor failure. In the SHO, it was located beneath the water pump, and if the pump leaked, it would load the sensor up with coolant, and make a mess of it in a hurry. What happened to the car in these cases was stalling, not a failure to start.

I would think that when the computer's running in open loop from default tables, you should be able to get the car to start only to have it then falter once the computer detects the slop in the sensor and can't set the timing accordingly. Have you cleared all codes / disconnected and reconnected the battery, and then tried to crank it?

I have not, however, attempted to bench test a crank position sensor.

The wierd thing is that its not throwing any codes. I have tried to DR the batt several times. I cant seem to fighure out the next step. Should i just order one from a parts store(2 day shipping process) Try a junk yard....Hmmm or is there anything else i can try to do imbetween to make sure it the Ckp sensor.

The wierd thing is that its not throwing any codes. I have tried to DR the batt several times. I cant seem to fighure out the next step. Should i just order one from a parts store(2 day shipping process) Try a junk yard....Hmmm or is there anything else i can try to do imbetween to make sure it the Ckp sensor.

www.rockauto.com has one for as little as $10.32 plus shipping -- it's a Standard. They've got an Airtex for $14.76 and a Delco for $16.78.

getimage.php

I had a friend help me out, it turns out that im not receiving any voltage to the ckp sensor.... this is a problem

No it isn't. It's a variable reluctance sensor (same as the ABS wheel sensors) that doesn't get or need any significant supply voltage. You should only see a small bias voltage (1 - 2 VCD) on the CKP+ line. This one is nothing like the SHO's CPS circuit in either operation or anything else.

It would probably be best if you:

1) Identified what you're working on (my crystal ball is broken)...

2) Start over. I suspect you're on a wild goose chase due to not following established diagnostic procedures or by a lack of understanding about how it works.

Steve

No Spark/intermittent Spark on a '95 Zetec

No Spark/intermittent Spark on a '95 Zetec

Just replaced my CKP Sensor on my Zetec - intermittent spark. Metered out A-OK, as mentioned above.
What I couldn't believe was the fact that the entire lower plastic housing had broken away, leaving the inductance coil exposed and loose to move around. Had been this way for a long time, based on the metallic debris attached to the sensor.
Definately different and one for the books.
Bill

Back