• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pulse wheel probably on for wrong motor

Smalls

Addicted CEG'er
i had the pulse wheel on the 2.5 setting like it should be. my father had to pull a head while i was at cleveland. when he replaced the pulse wheel, he may have put it on the 3.0 notch. now the car cranks, gets spark, and gets fuel. just wont start. its GOTTA be a timing issue, right? has anyone put the pulse wheel on wrong and had the car start? just runs like complete crap?

pretty sure it will not start

figures. my dad is so depressed right now. i feel so bad for him. he worked his ass off for me, and the car wont be ready in time :( my mom called and said he sat down on the back patio and just put his head in his hands. he took so much time off of work, and the car wont even be coming to SZ with us.

Pulse wheel is on wrong for sure. Same symptoms my first swap, spark, fuel, cranking. It's trying to fire 180* out of time.

He could probably get the cover pulled and switched in the car in time... He's in Ohio right?

hes in ny with the car. this can all be done with the engine in the car, correct? i'll have to drive to NY tomorrow with another tech from work and bust our asses to get this thing done.

it would suck balls to try to do it in the car, i dont even think its possible:blackeye:

yes it can be done in the car. drop a pm to aircougar for pointers as he did it this past weekend. you need to get the alternator out, the motor mount out of the way and pull the front cover .... as well as the UIM and valve covers ...

yes it can be done in the car. drop a pm to aircougar for pointers as he did it this past weekend. you need to get the alternator out, the motor mount out of the way and pull the front cover .... as well as the UIM and valve covers ...

yeah, i figured it was possible. i just hope he responds in time. im going to school tomorrow, then straight back home to NY

figures. my dad is so depressed right now. i feel so bad for him. he worked his ass off for me, and the car wont be ready in time :( my mom called and said he sat down on the back patio and just put his head in his hands. he took so much time off of work, and the car wont even be coming to SZ with us.

we have all been there .... after starting my 3L for the first time there was an immediate coolant leak. as I start taking a few things apart to get to it, alone and the help had other things to take care of at that moment I got the feeling also, it sucks no two ways about it. But if your father could get this far working on this then he can finish it with correcting the pulse wheel ... needless to say many have made the same mistake. but the onyl way to tell is to open it up and look.

Yep, I made this same mistake too. It IS possible to replace it in the car. Took me 10 hours from start to finish once I knew what the problem was. Tell your dad it's an easy mistake and not to beat himself up over it. Good luck getting it fixed.

Yep, I made this same mistake too. It IS possible to replace it in the car. Took me 10 hours from start to finish once I knew what the problem was. Tell your dad it's an easy mistake and not to beat himself up over it. Good luck getting it fixed.

10 hours.... I would have pulled the motor again... Oh wait I did :(. I had my motor out in under 2 last time around, and that was by myself.

How far 'finished' was your dad? was the car sitting on the ground ready to roll? I would have suggested he try to fire the motor before getting that far.

Last edited:
didnt have the axles or anything back in. just the motor was finished. my father didnt get that far by himself. i spent a few days working non-stop on it. todras has also been a HUGE help over the phone

Yeah, it took me about 3-4 hours to remove and install the timing cover, but I also reset the timing chains, and a few other small things....

Removed the timing in the car about 7 or 8 times now.... really not too bad.

I feel so bad for you and your pops trying to bust ass before SZ just to get the car there..... good luck with the fix and remember to breathe and try not to snap on your dad, sounds like an easy mistake and a pretty easy fix - just takes a little time :) - see you at SZ

well, its 2:30 am. just got home from buffalo. during the installation, i became very sick and had to stop. this car wont make it to SZ :(

Hope you feel better but I would have finished it up and just showed up a day late to SZ. Heck, I didn't make it until the very end of the banquet sz 07 on the last night because I was still wrenching under my 3L turbo. I finished it up, hopped in, and flew across the state praying for the best. :)

Last edited:
Back