• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

speedo failure

He gets a reading on his data scanning device....there IS a velocity being run into the computer.
Oops, sorry, missed his post on that. Yep, the VSS is working then.

... When I plug my OBD II into the car, and drive down the road, it gives me real time data on the velocity of the vehicle. If this data comes from the Vehicle Speed Sensor, then the problem is NOT with the VSS. Right?

So there is something wrong with my speedo gage itself, as corroborated by the intermittent problem of several years which would be remedied with Fonzi-like smacks to the dash ("AAAAAAAAAY"). :cool:

Check the wiring from the PCM to the instrument panel or connector for the instrument panel or better yet......

Stick to "The Touch" :laugh: .

Put new gage kit in . . .

Put new gage kit in . . .

So I bought a gauge cluster (Canadian spelling) and now everything works again, looks like there was a problem with something in the old gauge cluster.

NEW PROBLEM!!! Now the speedo is way out of calibration. At about 35 mph it says I am doing 100 mph. I am going to search the posts after posting this to see if there is a fix, I just wanted to let people know the current status of this issue. Also the ABS light stays on permanently in the new gauge cluster, but my car does not have ABS so this might be why. I will pull the bulb. Fuel gage seems to be working correctly too, I will top up gas thursday and know for sure. FYI the replacement gage cluster is from a slightly different car with ATX.

Last edited:
That may be why your speedo is so off... The ATX and MTX use two different VSS's, so it is possible that they send a different signal to the PCM...

This is entirely irrelevant. The gauge cluster is reading data from the PCM, so the sensor itself makes absolutely no difference ;). OP, you need to use GPS or OBDII data logging to calibrate your speedo. Take off the plastic shield and the needle off the speedo (I recommend using two spoons on either side of the needle), and place the cluster in it's position, and at some speed on the highway (the faster you're going when you set it the better), place the needle at the measured speed you are traveling. It will most likely take a few tries as the motor inside the speedo is really really weak and the needle can be turned by hand VERY easily. Good luck :)

calibrate speedo

calibrate speedo

Thanks, Zorrex. I think I can do this safely by putting the car up on jack stands. However, it seems to me the difference in speedo calibration is not just out of position, it is out of scale. Here's what I mean. The speedo starts out at zero, but then it rises VERY quickly up to 50 mph while I am still in first gear. Snap it into second, and it rises VERY quickly to 70 mph. This continues until I am actually at highway speed (measured by memory and engine RPM, verified by OBD II scanner). At real 55 mph the needle is pegged at 150 mph. My thought is if I pull the needle and reinstall at 55 mph while the wheels are going 55 mph that this will fix the position but not the ratio at which the speedo motor moves (seems to move about 3 mph to 1 actual). The gage cluster is not from the same year of car or same model and there are some differences on the back IE placement of resistors. Should I dig deeper for an exact match on the gage cluster or will it be the same problem?

I'd be looking for EXACT match gauge cluster. Some of these things have voltage regulators in the solid state stuff or the PCM so that the output state devices are locked into certain voltages. Have seen those voltages move around in different years of same model to where instruments would read wrong. Also difference in standard/sport models alone can make for electrical non-workies.

The VSS sensor DOES matter, the PCM has no way of knowing what speed vehicle is at w/o its' signal. Just unplug it and see what happens to speedo. Even if electrically filtered and driven by the PCM, that signal has to come from somewhere. Or, correct me?

I have a '97 Duratec gauge cluster in my '96 Zetec. I modified the tachometer to work for the Zetec. The speedometer IS EXACTLY THE SAME. It receives the SAME EXACT information from the PCM so as long as the OP calibrates the speedometer appropriately at 55mph like he said, everything will be fine. OP, the speedo jumps like that due to the nature of the motor inside. The needle is so heavy compared to the strength of the motor that the needle will "rest" at the peg when, say, it should ACTUALLY be "resting" at, say, 35mph. If you lay the gauge cluster down to discount the weight of the needle, the needle will rest close to where 0 is for the motor.

Fuel Gage now . . .

Fuel Gage now . . .

Excellent advice, guys. The fuel gage is now working in reverse of the correct direction, I thought it was behaving a bit oddly, IE it went from 1/4 tank to 3/4 tank in about 300 km;s of driving. So I filled it right up, the needle went down to below E and the fuel light came on!!! I am going to try to find the exact gage cluster or at least a newer one, this one came from a 96 atx and my car is a 98 zetec mtx. Will keep you posted. THANKS!!! -XF:crazy:

Speedo Failure Update

Speedo Failure Update

Found and installed a speedo cluster from the same year and engine / tranny model. This wrecking yard told me the 96 generation clusters are not compatible, that I needed one for an MTX mid 1998 through 2001. They got me one and it is in the car now and the speedo, odometer, and gas gage work exactly as they should, with no modification. There IS a difference in the electronics mounted on the back of the gage cluster, I will take digital photos and post them here. Also worthy of note there was a label on the correct cluster that identified it as for MTX cars. Cost $115.

Speedo Failure Update

Speedo Failure Update

Well, I would kid ya about many things, but $$$ ? NEVER. To be clear, the used cluster from a wrecker was $115 Canadian $, that would be about $150 USD right now. :laugh: The WRONG cluster from another wrecking yard that thinks that computers are for panty-waisted nerds was $75. I will be taking that one back, as it came from a '96 ATX and the ewectwonics are not compatible.

Replacement Speedo

Replacement Speedo

Well, it was not a u pull it, not many of those around, as there is too much stealage and breakage. Also, they did not have it in stock, but found it at another wrecker in their network... so they ordered it in. Shipping was "FREE" but even Joe Dirt knows: nothing in life is free. :troutslap:

Speedo Failure - Update 9-15-08

Speedo Failure - Update 9-15-08

Hey an update for those who care so much it hurts. I am posting photos of the two different gage clusters. This photo should show the info that identifies this cluster as an AAA model (atx). The next photo should clearly show MTX but the sticker is a bit faded. Look clsoely.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
Ok sorry about that the photo I attached is of the MTX cluster (1998 Zetec). The other cluster had the same sticker and instead of MTX it said AAA (1996 zetec atx). Anyone who wants photos of the back of both clusters showing the difference in the electronics e-mail or PM me and I will send them. CASE CLOSED.

Back