• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Todays Findings

BOMBdig

CEG'er
so today i decided to do some routine maintenance to my car (oil change, coolant). I knew i had an exhaust leak so before i started doing anything i decided to look under the car at the exhaust to see if i could find a problem and this is what i see:

2804ec1.jpg

closer up
514q6v.jpg

and then i see this has snapped
qz5el2.jpg

OH! and on then this also happened:
10igvvd.jpg

:crazy:

sorry these were cell phone pictures.

I think the ford flextubes must suck because when i had my exhaust done, mine was all broken too. 100,000, congrats, don't blow it up. lol

and then i see this has snapped
qz5el2.jpg
I had the exact same problem with my GL.
I never replaced that bracket. I tried having a shop replace it once while I was getting some other work done, but they said they couldn't find it. :shrug:

congrats on the mileage!

oh i think it's in the process of blowing up. I'm waiting to see what this upcoming 730-ish mile trip is going to do to it.

lol, blow up.

my 99 SE had 174K miles on it when I sold it, car ran awesome and it daily saw redline.

the pre98's had fatter rod bearing caps too, so the pre98 zetec technically should go longer then the 98+ ones :)

you may have to replace everything else under the sun on that car, but the motor should always remain stock, unless you let something happen which damages the motor.

lol, blow up.

my 99 SE had 174K miles on it when I sold it, car ran awesome and it daily saw redline.

the pre98's had fatter rod bearing caps too, so the pre98 zetec technically should go longer then the 98+ ones :)

you may have to replace everything else under the sun on that car, but the motor should always remain stock, unless you let something happen which damages the motor.

oops too late :shrug:

2njfrmb.png

Don't worry about changing out the bracket. Unbolt its remains and forget about it! Honestly Linds you don't have to worry about fixing it before you go to SZ or anything. It just may start to drone a little bit with all the miles you are about to put on :p

I had the exact same problem with my GL.
I never replaced that bracket. I tried having a shop replace it once while I was getting some other work done, but they said they couldn't find it. :shrug:

congrats on the mileage!

mine did the same and I haven't given it a second thought ... don't worry about it. plus your exhaust, minus the leak looks better then mine, but mine has double the miles to

When the flex pipe on my Talon went out, I just threw some exhaust wrap on it to tone it down. worked great.

When the flex pipe on my Talon went out, I just threw some exhaust wrap on it to tone it down. worked great.

It will eventually burn off though. I did the same thing on one of my mazdas and could get about 6 months before the noise came back.

It will eventually burn off though. I did the same thing on one of my mazdas and could get about 6 months before the noise came back.

It'll last even less given that the break is on the flex pipe...lots of movement, especially with your busted roll restrictor, Lindsey! Don't fix the flex pipe until getting that roll restrictor fixed.

It'll last even less given that the break is on the flex pipe...lots of movement, especially with your busted roll restrictor, Lindsey! Don't fix the flex pipe until getting that roll restrictor fixed.

That is a very good point, I never thought of a broken RR affecting the flex pipe... Time to break out the window weld, I am re-installing my mount later today :cool:

Back