• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Eliminate Jack Covers?

stuukaatz

New CEG'er
A couple of things......1) found a couple of side skirts (off an SE Sport) on my recent boneyard venture. Not in bad shape, a few scuff marks in one and a little gouge in the other. Anyone recommend what to repair them with...any specific product recommended? 2) Only had one jack cover though. So, here's my question, has anyone ever "eliminated" the jack covers...you know, glass/patch right over the area and just make it one long smooth piece. I never jack the car at those points anyhow and I think a smooth clean look would look better than with the covers. What do you think gents???

if you eliminate them how do you jack the car up??? and yes i have seen sidekirts (aftermarket) not sure which company though that just dont have them.

Razzi skirts had no jackpoints, but looked like SVT skirts. At least, I think it was Razzi.

if you eliminate them how do you jack the car up??? and yes i have seen sidekirts (aftermarket) not sure which company though that just dont have them.

You can jack them up without removing the jack cover. I've never removed mine. A low sliding jack helps too.

I almost filled them on my SE skirts when I was prepping them for paint. I have subframe connectors so I dont care about the factory jack points anymore.

Go for it. It should look a lot better. Plus you would never have to worry about losing a cover or someone stealing one.

I've almost wanted to.. but I got a flat a few months ago.. and unless I keep my 50 pound jack in my trunk.. there's no way I could use the temporary jack on the subframe. :shrug:

Those jack covers are not for just jacking up your car, they are for a car hoist. the four arms dont fit under unless you take them out. I had to take them out to lift my svt up once. But my car is lowered so maybe a stock height car they might fit under.:shrug:

Those jack covers are not for just jacking up your car, they are for a car hoist. the four arms dont fit under unless you take them out. I had to take them out to lift my svt up once. But my car is lowered so maybe a stock height car they might fit under.:shrug:
i just had my SVT at the shop today for tire work. they lifted the car without removing the jack covers. :shrug:

What happens if you have a flat on the side of the road? Do you always carry a really heavy jack around with you?

As far as getting a flat goes.... been driving for 30 yrs, married for 21yrs (to a woman that has been driving as long as I have known her), 2 kids driving for 3 yrs and between the 4 of us, we as a family have had a total of two flat tires to deal with. Pretty good odds I would say. So, I'll put a bottle jack and a couple of samll pieces of wood in the trunk, maybe a can of fix a flat too. Oh and if worst comes to worst, I'll whip out my cell phone..."honey I need your help! Oh and bring the 2 and a half ton floor jack while you're at it"...thank God I married a strong woman...lmao

i just had my SVT at the shop today for tire work. they lifted the car without removing the jack covers. :shrug:

Yep. Mine never come off.
standard.jpg

As far as getting a flat goes.... been driving for 30 yrs, married for 21yrs (to a woman that has been driving as long as I have known her), 2 kids driving for 3 yrs and between the 4 of us, we as a family have had a total of two flat tires to deal with. Pretty good odds I would say. So, I'll put a bottle jack and a couple of samll pieces of wood in the trunk, maybe a can of fix a flat too. Oh and if worst comes to worst, I'll whip out my cell phone..."honey I need your help! Oh and bring the 2 and a half ton floor jack while you're at it"...thank God I married a strong woman...lmao

Idk, in my experience with flats is they happen at the most inconvenient time in the most inconvenient place, and if you don't have the tools with you, the person that could bring them isn't available or reachable.

Back