• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tires!

I have a pretty much stock csvt, with e1's. I dont need anything too crazy, but if I decide to, as I do from time to time, I want there to be some good shoes on the ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the speeds to legal limits.. and once your account is officially approved, we can move this discussion to the wheel/tire forum.

I have a pretty much stock csvt, with e1's. I dont need anything too crazy, but if I decide to, as I do from time to time, I want there to be some good shoes on the ride!

I recommend you check out the Tire Rack website. You can search tires by size, and then compare all available in your size. They log consumer ratings on different attributes for each tire such as wet/dry handling, noise, ride comfort, etc. They also do tire testing on most of the higher performance tires, so you can see measured performance comparisons as well.

Good luck with your search! :cool:

Just dont go by their size since there arent many sizes for the weird 215/50/16. Change it to 225/50/16 and you'll have all the choices.

I use Bridgestone Turanza LS-V 205/55-R16 tires that I bought from Tirerack.
They have a very smooth ride with a load capacity index of 91 (1356 lbs) and are still a V rated tire for speeds up to 149mph. they have almost the same rotations per mile as the stock KDW's that it came with and the same standing height so no speedometer adjustment needed.
They also have pretty decent traction in snow if you are leaving them on all year.

It is possible to give up a full inch of tread width in going to a 205/55/16 vs. the stock 215/50/16, depoending on the tire make/model. This could be a good solution for a winter tire, but I'm not sure I would want to give up that much cornering capacity the rest of the time. Of course, I'm a guy who like to autocross many weekends during the summer! :laugh:

Here are the comparative specs from the Dunlop Direzza DZ101:
Size

Width
Sect.
Width
Tread
Width
Overall
Diam.
Revs
Per
Mile
215/50VR16
Load Index 90 = 1323lbs (600kg) per tire
Speed Rating “V” = 149mph (240kph) 90V
SL Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A300 A A

1323 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
21 lbs.6-7.5"
7"
8.7"
7.6"
24.4"

(Sorry - - somehow went to post while I was trying to copy in a tire spec chart. Cleaned up below)

It is possible to give up a full inch of tread width in going to a 205/55/16 vs. the stock 215/50/16, depoending on the tire make/model. This could be a good solution for a winter tire, but I'm not sure I would want to give up that much cornering capacity the rest of the time. Of course, I'm a guy who like to autocross many weekends during the summer! :laugh:

Here are the comparative specs from the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 for the three sizes in question:
Size Sect. Width Tread Width OverallDiam. RevsPerMile
215/50VR16 8.7" 7.6" 24.4" 861

205/55VR16 8.4" 6.5" 24.9" 845

225/50VR16 9.2" 8.2" 24.9" 841

Here are the comparative specs from the Dunlop Direzza DZ101:
Size

Width
Sect.
Width
Tread
Width
Overall
Diam.
Revs
Per
Mile
215/50VR16
Load Index 90 = 1323lbs (600kg) per tire
Speed Rating “V” = 149mph (240kph) 90V
SL Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A300 A A

1323 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
21 lbs.6-7.5"
7"
8.7"
7.6"
24.4"

I understand. It really depends on how hard of driving you intend to do and that should be decided first before shopping. I know mine handle great but I am not a real aggressive driver, yet the KDW's that were on my car were only good for dry traction because even at my driving level they would break from the road in the rain.

It's still nice to know you have other tire choices.

might want to consider the yokohoma as430s. they come in H and V speed ratings. they are a great all season tire unlike the G-forces which are made more for dry pavement. i recommend those to all my customers that are in the same boat as you

Two words:

Kumho Ecsta

the ecsta line comes in a racing tire, a summer tire, and a radial all season.

the summer is ecsta AST and the all season radial is ecsta ASX.

even the AST seems to tread water pretty well, and it's is a good bit stickier compund. draw back? it has directional tread so you can't rotate your tires side to side, only front to back.

I don't know the sub model for the half tread racing model, but I'm pretty sure you don't care anyways.

they get excelent ratings on tire rack though.

I bought a set of RIKEN RAPTORS and i'm very happy with them. They are W rated and wear kinda quick 300, but feel great. i've got 225/50/r16 and have low road noise so far, about 6000 miles.

Here is the best deal you will find on a decent tire for the SVT rims if you are going to do just normal driving and they are V rated for those times when performance counts.... as posted in group buy:

NEW Mastercraft 215/50VR16 Avenger LSR. They are all season "V" speed rated, and in the size everyone knows is hard to find, especially at this price. If interested they are $70 per tire. You can find them on the net around $90 each but normal retail is $120.

I just got a set for my SVT rims soon to be on my Tour, and my friend has a set on his car. They ride very nice!

Contact Adam at: baker.ac@gmail.com for details.
AF

Two words:

Kumho Ecsta

the ecsta line comes in a racing tire, a summer tire, and a radial all season.

the summer is ecsta AST and the all season radial is ecsta ASX.

even the AST seems to tread water pretty well, and it's is a good bit stickier compund. draw back? it has directional tread so you can't rotate your tires side to side, only front to back.

I don't know the sub model for the half tread racing model, but I'm pretty sure you don't care anyways.

they get excelent ratings on tire rack though.

Bah..my brother had two cars that came with kumho ecsta's and both had to have new tires within a few thousand miles. His volvo s40 had about 2K miles on them and they started to bubble. Also he has a svt focus and one blew and at the same time he noticed the tread starting to separate on another one.

He also had huge problems with road noise.

He got generals for the volvo, same as mentioned by another person in a previous post. And Falken 912s for the svt focus. He said it is like night and day with bother cars.

Personally I've been sticking to Falkens the last several years for my svt contour. 512 and 912 for my everyday driving, and azenis for the autocross. They have never let me down, are quiet, and cheap. Treadwear isn't the greatest tho.

I also only do 225/50-16 tires on my car.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R is on sale at tire rack right now 128$ for a 22/50 V rated.

Great deal in my opinion, that's what's going on my set of E1's this summer.

Back