• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Half shaft?

D13

CEG'er
Was turning right at slow speed today and heard consecutive pops. They sounded like they were coming up though the drivers floor pan.

I believe this to be the u-joints in the half shafts...

Am I correct?

Also, how long would this procedure take?

Also, VIN question:

Model: Contour SE Sport
Manufactured: 4/99
Engine: 2.5 Duratec
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic

My problem is that when I describe my vehicle to parts suppliers, they ask for the VIN to help ID part compatibility. My VIN begins 3F... Most suppliers then respond with, "Are you sure it has a V6?". I have looked at a couple of parts sites and the only "3" VINs show a 4 cylinder engine.

Is this something weird, or are the parts suppliers in error?

Hello. Most parts stores pay people way too little...and they get what they pay for. The first two digits in your VIN have nothing to do with your engine. I believe that it is your 8TH digit which denotes what engine you have (according to the VIN). In your case I believe you should have an L or a G as the 8TH digit in your VIN (count from left to right).

vin decoder 3F means the car was built in Mexico and it should be FA that means Ford .... engine type is the 8th digit ...

also it is most likely one of the CV joints, not the half shaft ...the half shaft doesn't have any joints.

Some people use the term half shaft for the axle inaccurately. The contours use a half shaft on the passenger side of the transmission with a carrier bearing the axle on the passenger side connects to. And yes the CV joints are part of the axle assemblies which would be what you were calling the u-joints.

Ok, got the parts and got started. Everything is coming along nicely until the LCA. What is the trick to getting this out? I can only get the "shaft" half way out. I even tried using a wedge on the pinch and a 20" pry bar. Can't seem to get it more than half out...

Any special tricks to ease pulling these parts apart?

Stinks to be so close and yet so far...

search for ball joint removal and you should find some good pictures posted by svtjon.
You need to force the lca down with a bar through the opening in the arm. Just go easy so you don't tear the bushings up too much if you are going to reuse the lca.

Thanks, that worked. Have the everything apart except the inner CV. I pulled lightly on the shaft, and the CV seperated. Do I have to use the puller for it?

The Contour strikes again...

Took it for a test drive last night and all is well. This morning, drove about 2 miles and the tranny started acting funny. Finally a small thud and no go.

Transmission fluid was pouring out onto the road.

My guess is that the inner CV has seperated somehow.

Thoughts...

Went back and checked it, looks like the shaft seal may have failed. The wheel is solid and locked into the diff. But the tranny fluid can be seen pouring out.

Probably have to pull it all apart this afternoon and check the seals...

grrrr

Went back and checked it, looks like the shaft seal may have failed. The wheel is solid and locked into the diff. But the tranny fluid can be seen pouring out.

Probably have to pull it all apart this afternoon and check the seals...

grrrr

are you sure the half shaft is all the way it? where is the rust line in relation to the seal? check the bracket to make sure all the bolts are tight ...

Yes, it is the drivers side and has two joints...

I am hoping the thud was the torque converter. I am praying that the sudden loss of tranny fluid hasnt caused any serious issues.

Back