• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hanging revs?

Dyoel182

Addicted CEG'er
I noticed today that my revs hang and then slowly drop when I put the clutch in to shift at speed so the clutch is always slipping a little. Is that a symptom of the IAC, the TPS or maybe the throttle body?

Throttle Hang.

The fix is in the Duratec Maintenance forum, under the "READ FIRST" thread (which you've not done, I can tell.. LOL)

Dually noted.. I edited the thread to reflect "throttle hang".

just run better gas from sonoco.. ive had it in 2 of my svt's and i only get it when i run cheap gas pride or hess. it happens 99% of the time to

Its not electrical.... The problem is one of reverberation and/or a poorly maintained IAC. either/or/and.
While I agree that the IAC may be a culprit, it has nothing to do with the electrical portion of the IAC, and everything to do (if the IAC is, in fact, the culprit) with a DIRTY/STICKY IAC.

Of course, this is IF the IAC is the problem.

Its not electrical.... The problem is one of reverberation and/or a poorly maintained IAC. either/or/and.
While I agree that the IAC may be a culprit, it has nothing to do with the electrical portion of the IAC, and everything to do (if the IAC is, in fact, the culprit) with a DIRTY/STICKY IAC.

Of course, this is IF the IAC is the problem.

Well Ford looked at the IAC under warranty and it didnt change the rev hang issue so it makes me believe the folks saying its something fishy with the emissions control in the computer.

I agree with the above.
I corrected the problem with a restrictor in the egr hose.
But this is a 'bypass' fix leaving the original culprit yet to fix.

more than likely the "culprit" is in the ecu,since its the iac that is hanging open and the iac is controlled by the ecu. logic says that you'd need to mess w/the idle settings in the ecu.:shrug:

Last edited:
I agree with the above.
I corrected the problem with a restrictor in the egr hose.
But this is a 'bypass' fix leaving the original culprit yet to fix.

The "original cuplrit" is the dashpot software in the PCM.

From my old Ford days, I know the SVTC principal calibration engineer who at the time was with Roush Technologies, as Roush was contracted to develop the SVTC powertrain. He complained mightily about how much dashpot he had to leave in the calibration, and he took out a great deal, so throttle hang could have been worse.

He used to tell stories about the special projects (SVT and Roush cars...) "executive signoff sessions" that were held at the Ford test track in Dearborn. They would have several special project cars at the track, and upper management types were scheduled to come by, drive the car some, and sign-off on the project. These jokers would show up, roll out of their Lincoln Town Cars, and be expected to evaluate a high performance vehicle. Many of them couldn't even drive a three-pedal car! This is partly the reason for the long dashpot times, as people who are inexperienced with a standard transmission need long throttle hang times to be even remotely smooth.

We had the same problem with Taurus SHO's, and one way to defeat it was to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), as this kept EEC from knowing that the vehicle was moving, and drop-throttle revs fell much more quickly, but this left the cruise control non-functional. Have never tried this with my SVTC, might help, but speedo and cruise would not work.

Gary M.

Well I hate it. I honestly think it makes the car borderline un-drivable after coming from my mazdas which drop revs like a hot potato. I'm glad its kinda under control now.

i TOTALLY agree. most times when i need to run a errand and i looke in the garage...modded svtc or stock mx6 ls????? i usually take the mx6:shrug: i can't stand coming to a redlight and have my car idle at 1800 rpms for five seconds

Well I dont have a choice. The SVT has air conditioning and comfy seats and the daily mazda is almost 20 years old now and people dont like the way it smells at stops.

1.If your rpms rev on there own in between shifts then its the TPS.
2.If the rpms hang between shifts then its the Throttle hang.

I still have my TH on my car. I don't mind it very much. :cool:

...I still have my TH on my car. I don't mind it very much. :cool:

I found it most annoying in traffic, when it made a more noticeable impact on smoothness and driveability. Now that it's gone, the car is much more enjoyable.

My idle would increse upon clutch release.
Then after several looong seconds it would fall.
The restrictor I'm currently using has a 1/4" hole.
I believe I'll go smaller, say about 3/16".
Copyof100_0611.jpg

Back