• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Subwoofer recomendations

ohsigmachi

CEG'er
My jaguar has a built in decklid sub enclosure that holds two 6x8 woofers. I've no idea realy what other sizes would fit although I imagine a 6x9 or 6.5 in speaker would fit. Given that info what would you replace them with for better more accurate base while keeping the stock enclosure. I think the enclosure is vented, but again not sure...sorry I usually have more info when I make posts.

yeah, I guess I should take the whole thing out and start taking measurements. Most of the jag forums are pretty lame so I came here for answers and recomendations of brands. I'd be looking for two small woofers for less than 100 each.

My jaguar has a built in decklid sub enclosure that holds two 6x8 woofers. I've no idea realy what other sizes would fit although I imagine a 6x9 or 6.5 in speaker would fit. Given that info what would you replace them with for better more accurate base while keeping the stock enclosure. I think the enclosure is vented, but again not sure...sorry I usually have more info when I make posts.

Why not get some real subs in your trunk.... :shrug:

Why not get some real subs in your trunk.... :shrug:

The factory box is a nice piece and I think with a speaker upgrade it will sound really nice. I definitely don't want to sacrifice ANY trunk space, nor am I into shows, SQL, SPL or GIGANTIC MEGABASS silliness, I just want to enhance what is already there.

tangband makes 6x9 subwoofers... front what I hear they're pretty decent.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Those look promising.

FWIW I ran a Tang Band 6.5" subwoofer in the rear deck of my Mystique and am now running the same setup in my SVT. Excellent results in both cars, plus you don't lose your trunk.

It gets lots of compliments on the sound quality as well, bass is real clean. I also installed sound deading on the top portion of my rear deck to keep rattles down. The rear deck doesn't rattle at all with some dynamat knockoff stuff from PE.

I'm pulling the box tonight and going to get dimensions and if it all lines up I'm going with a couple of the 6.5's. Maybe the Amp can come later. I've got a nice one in the classifieds, but I think it would be to much, and hard to mount.

I'm pulling the box tonight and going to get dimensions and if it all lines up I'm going with a couple of the 6.5's. Maybe the Amp can come later. I've got a nice one in the classifieds, but I think it would be to much, and hard to mount.

Are you planning on running those subs with a headunit until you get an amp?

I'm going to us the factory amp that runs the subs in there now. It's small and a ford factory style unit (gotta love forduars), but I think it'll get the job done.

The 6.5 inchers are too big. The mounting plate on them is 7in and the entire top of the box is barely that big. I don't want to do a whole lot of crazy cutting on this thing. I think the box is quality, it just the fact its using the same speakers that were in my 96 contour gl doors that make it sound kind of week.

I'll probably use the Tang Band 5.25 speakers unless I can find another dedicated woofer in that size. Everything I'm fnding is either a coax or part of a component system.

Last edited:
the tangband 5.25 are VERY impressive, i use them for a pair of bookshelfs right now, My buddy has a set of the 6.5's in his front doors deadend, I have to say, the 5.25's are alot more musical and have just as much bass. Mine are boxed, vs his freeair.

Go with the 5.25s, you wont regret it.

which model 5.25 do you have, it looks like there are a couple.

Thanks for the encouragement, I have to admit I was a little disappointed about not being able to fit the 6.5in ones easily.

If you're running the stock amp I would check the impedience of the current subs. You don't want to get a sub with a low resistance and risk damaging your stock amplifier. Stock subs are usually 8 ohms. Just make sure your amp can handle the speakers that you get.

Back