• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbos from the back

Don't worry about it. I just like to give people :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Ask anybody who actually knows me (which would be pretty much no one here). You know I just wish I had 4 SVTs...

how did this turn from "turbos in the rear" to "aerodynamics"?

I'm just wondering if the piping would fit all the way to the front and by looking at the sts webpage they say you don't need to change out anything on the engine (including headers) because there is a 1" intake on the turbo and it doesn't really matter if you have higher flow through the exhaust manifold. I would have thought that the "higher the flow" results in "a faster turbo spooling up" which equals "less the turbo lag".

if you are increasing downforce you are increasing the weight of the vehicle in motion. your drag will probably increase slightly as well, but, look at all those honda kids who pull out their interior and add huge spoilers and splitters cause they think their car is faster that way. Haha counterproductive much?

Adding downforce doesn't increase the *weight* of the vehicle, though it does increase the downward force applied by the tires to the road, increasing available traction force and thus improving handling. Aside from the increased drag and the weight of the spoiler/wing itself, they don't slow the car down any.

I suppose you could say that they increase the "effective weight" but only in the sense of increased traction. Maybe you didn't intend it to sound this way, but to me it sounds like you're implying that the negative lift supplied by a spoiler/wing makes the car itself heavier and thus slower. That isn't true.

I understand that downforce doesnt make a car physically heavier. That is what I meant when I said you are increasing the weight of the vehicle in motion, the effective weight of the vehicle on the road.

The downforce created will make the car slower.

This is why people spend so much money researching aerodynamics for race cars and high performance cars.

The more "weight" on the tires, the harder they are to spin. This is physics.

Back