• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

carbon tracking

97vulcan

CEG'er
Where would you look to see if carbon tracking is going on with your car? Also if it is, what do you do to repair it? Are results of carbon tracking bucking and hesitation?

Thanks,
Adam

The carbon tracks are often hard to spot on the plug wires. Mine were inside the boots on the plug ends. However, the porcelain on the plugs was also scored and tracked, so that was a dead giveaway.

Anyways, the boots being black, and the carbon tracks being black, they are hard to see.

To repair it, you must replace everything. If you have tracked wires, they will burn up a new set of plugs. And if you have tracked plugs, they will burn up a new set of wires.

Buy all new plugs and wires, and change them all at once.

yeah I know Contours have Coil Packs, not distributer cap and rotor....

BTW.....where did your post go Rara???

The carbon tracks are often hard to spot on the plug wires. Mine were inside the boots on the plug ends. However, the porcelain on the plugs was also scored and tracked, so that was a dead giveaway.

Anyways, the boots being black, and the carbon tracks being black, they are hard to see.

To repair it, you must replace everything. If you have tracked wires, they will burn up a new set of plugs. And if you have tracked plugs, they will burn up a new set of wires.

Buy all new plugs and wires, and change them all at once.

Thanks Andy....I think that might've happened when I replaced my wires because I thought it was causing a misfire. I have lifetime warr. on wires, so I'll take em back, and purchase some autolite platinums. and see what happens......Are there any steps to prevent carbon tracking??

~Adam

Carbon tracking happens over time, as carbon deposits buildup. It won't show up on freshly replaced plugs and wires.

Buy a tube of dielectric tune-up grease, and smear some inside each boot before snapping it on the plug. This acts as an insulator, keeps dirt and moisture out, and can help keep everything firing better, longer.

Yes carbon tracking #2 plug white long insulator inside, showed burning/carbon tracking on insulator. caused slight 2200rpm hesitation/stuttering for 12 years on '95 mystique v6 before i discovered it.

smooth as silk now. replaced wires and plugs.

mike

Back