• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Check light

tycontour0514

CEG'er
I brought my 1997 ford contour se to the shop this week twice because of the engine check light kept lighting up. The mechanic ran the codes and replaced a leaking intake hose. Then two days later it went on agian and brought back in and had to replace the manifold. Now it is back on. Do you think the sensor is bad, or is it normal to juss go on for no reason?

First thing: Don't bring it back to that mechanic. Sounds like he is jerking you around.

Second thing: Go to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. They will scan for your codes for FREE. Post the EXACT code number here and you will get all the help you need.

I brought my 1997 ford contour se to the shop this week twice because of the engine check light kept lighting up. The mechanic ran the codes and replaced a leaking intake hose. Then two days later it went on agian and brought back in and had to replace the manifold. Now it is back on. Do you think the sensor is bad, or is it normal to juss go on for no reason?

no it isn't normal for a CEL to stay on. on the contrary. it seems to me your mechanic is playing hit or miss with you. if he has no idea what the car's problem is, then take it somewhere else. buying and replacing parts that aren't the problem is wasting money. or tell him to simply do a thorough inspection of the motor to see where ALL leaks are. at least the biggest ones. what codes are you pulling anyway?

EDIT----- Dang it Zorrex! u beat me to it. i promise i didnt copy you.:laugh:

I am taking it back to have a test on it for codes and I'm going to talk to the guy. Could it be the o2 sensor?

I would be willing to bet the car is enduring a lean condition, which means there is a vacuum leak. However, MAKE SURE TO GET THE EXACT CODE NUMBER. Don't let him tell you, "Oh, I think we need to replace this hose and that hose." No, get the exact code so that way we can help you. Mechanics are always out to get money, and he already got a crapload off you for getting a new intake manifold :nonono:.

Back