• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec won't start...

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
My wife has a 1998 GL Zetec VCT. The other day she started complaining that the car didn't want to really move, and was very sluggish and then it would start acting correctly, so today I took the car to work to check it out. All seemed normal and then when I tried to accelerate from a red light, it seemed the car didn't want to movem like it wasnt getting any fuel or something, weird!

But then it threw a code, and I was very happy about that since I might be able to figure it out based on the code...

It was a Cam Pos Sensor Ret Tim Code... I forget the exact number and it is written down in the car (still parked at work)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Could it be this?

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0340 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault. [/FONT]

If it is a CPS, then it is cheap and easy. Disconnect connector, unscrew the bolt, remove CPS. Reinstall.
Autozonelink.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

If it is the VCT, that is a different story. :blackeye:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1265585&Forum=trouble&Words=vct&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1264914&Search=true#Post1265585

Last edited:
code number really is important, because what you described states that your camshaft position sensor is failing and your engine timing is retarded.

Could it be this?

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0340 [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault. [/FONT]

If it is a CPS, then it is cheap and easy. Disconnect connector, unscrew the bolt, remove CPS. Reinstall.
Autozonelink.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

If it is the VCT, that is a different story. :blackeye:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1265585&Forum=trouble&Words=vct&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1264914&Search=true#Post1265585

It wasnt that code... although I will get the exact code as soon as I am back at the car... would a camshaft position sensor cause the car to not start? I had mine go bad and the car still started, but that was in my SVT!

Yes.

If it is the VCT code, that would be $$$.

Well, it ran fine with the code for a while, started and stopped, and then it jsut wouldnt start... i guess ill change the CPS and see if it works, or unhook the VCT and see if it starts... if its a vct, car is getting junkyarded!

Shredded cam belt

Shredded cam belt

Yup it happens, there is a pretty good process under ztec 98 and later how to. Buy the $20 alignment plate and pin, that will ensure that the timing is correct. Follow the instructions carefully, especially when it comes to setting tension. Error on the side of too loose as too tight WILL cause the belt to walk off the pulleys and shred itself in short order (about 1,000 miles at highway speeds). Also don't be afraid to use an impact wrench to loosen and tighten the crankshaft pulley and the intake cam bolts. Works like a charm and saves you from having to pull the starter on the automatics. Oh yes make certain that you replace all idlers and tensioner as well.

Good luck

there is a how-to in the Zetec forum, but i've done like 4 or 5 of them, so if you have any questions I am willing to lend you a hand, its pretty straight forward though.

Dont just get a belt, you need to replace the tensioner and the idlers also, the reason it failed is because the idlers/tensioner failed and allowed the belt to start slapping against the timing belt cover, which over time frayed it and allowed it to slip, which jumped your timing.

Actually, the belt has over 145K miles on it, and was never changed, and it just fell apart, the pieces of it were actually underneath the bottom gear and I had to pull out a small pile of pieces! I was told two years ago it needed to be changed, but never did it!

I need to get the timing tool, but cant find the part number, and couldnt find the howto... so any links are helpful!

Thanks again!

Kyle

OK, so nobody can find me the special timing tools I need for this... so if anyone has a set I can borrow or buy, please pm me ASAP!!

Kyle

Well, you don't really need the cam alignment tool. The cam alignment tool is just a big metal plate. If you can get a beefy plate and some thin metal shims then you'll be fine.

OK, so nobody can find me the special timing tools I need for this... so if anyone has a set I can borrow or buy, please pm me ASAP!!

Kyle

PM devanmc

I know he has the tool because he wanted to change his belt, I inspected his timing belt, it had been replaced before, so he is putting it off for a while.

Back