• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The Elusive SVT Cougar

I know it's an old topic but i was just thinking today how it was too bad they killed the "Cougar S" project.....oh well

Just be sure to get it fixed before inspection rolls around I guess or the next time you get pulled over.

You get inspected on whether your e-brake works? Once again, glad I've never had to deal with that BS. Never had an officer ask me if my e-brake works either... :shrug:

My cougar is more SVT than that one is. I have the SVT engine (mostly), clutch, flywheel, struts, springs, and E1 wheels on my Cougar already. I've even been thinking of putting an SVT exhaust on it :laugh:

You get inspected on whether your e-brake works? Once again, glad I've never had to deal with that BS. Never had an officer ask me if my e-brake works either... :shrug:

Its a safety feature and in Texas at least you get failed if it doesnt stop and hold the car like it should. Not having one at all would certainly raise a flag faster than just about anything.

I've never had one ask but I did get in trouble midway through a brake swap when I shut off the car and put it in gear to hold it and the policeman asked me to please keep my engine running and I had to explain my parking brake wasnt working.

Last edited:
seems like i remember hearing that some cougar near the last yr of production got 200hp duratecs but wasn't really marketed at all :shrug:

The Cougar S was slated for production, but it was NEVER PRODUCED.

That's the biggest piece of misinformation in the CDW-27 field.

The Cougar S was just going to be a Cougar with a complete SVT Contour powertrain.

Back