• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Annoying car audio noise.

Yawak

CEG'er
i've recently started hearing a humming sound coming through my car's stereo. it's getting rather annoying. it kinda follows the revs of my car. anybody know how i can fix this problem?

def prolly a ground issue...you just have an aftermarket head unit? any amps or subs in the car??? few details needed but my guess its gonna be a ground issue of some sort

def prolly a ground issue...you just have an aftermarket head unit? any amps or subs in the car??? few details needed but my guess its gonna be a ground issue of some sort

yeah i have an aftermarket head unit, an amp and a sub. so all of the above. so if it's a ground issue, what do i need to do? thanks in advance.

check all your grounds on your amp and head unit... make sure the ground is free of paint and has a solid connection....also check to make sure your rca's are run on the opposite side of the vehicle as the power wire and that they do not cross over the power wire at any point in the vehicle....if they do have to cross make sure its at a 90 degree angle

check all your grounds on your amp and head unit... make sure the ground is free of paint and has a solid connection....also check to make sure your rca's are run on the opposite side of the vehicle as the power wire and that they do not cross over the power wire at any point in the vehicle....if they do have to cross make sure its at a 90 degree angle

it seems like it maybe a loose ground connection, coz sometimes it goes away. never had this problem before and i've had the system in the car for most of the life of the car.

it seems like it maybe a loose ground connection, coz sometimes it goes away. never had this problem before and i've had the system in the car for most of the life of the car.

Loose or rusty ground? If you scraped away your paint before you grounded your grounds, they may have rusted.... may need to go back and clean them off or move them to a new ground?

It may be alternator noise... there have electical filters to help isolate and eliminate the noise.. grounds can also cause it. Caps can also sometimes help.

It may be alternator noise... there have electical filters to help isolate and eliminate the noise.. grounds can also cause it. Caps can also sometimes help.

wow, that was bad typing - sorry it's late and I'm tired.

It may be noise from the alternator. There are electrical filters that you can get to filter this out. I beleive they are called "ground loop isolators" or something like that (I may be wrong). I agree that the first thing is to check your ground though. Also, where your ground is located can affect this. Try to ground to something pretty solid and where there aren't other electrical ground connections. A capacitor may also help.

What kind of radio do you have??? is in a pioneer?
Is the wine coming from speakers and subs or just one?
do you have a 4-channel amp powering the speakers?
Some quick checks to do are
1) check your grounds just as other hace been saying. There is a chance with you having subs in the car that you rattled them loose.
2) go to your amp. place the tip of a wire on the outer ring of one RCA. The metal part and then ground it to the car. if the noise stops then you have and RCA wire that is shot.
3) if the problem would have stopped when you tryed grounding the RCA's it could also be the radio. With pioneers the have a small micro fuse in them that can blow and cause noise. To cure it you have to ground the Rca connection on the back of the radio.

Back