• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Out With The Old- In With The New

From the old:
TheAccidentpart2.jpg

EngineShot1.jpg

To the New:

SS3.jpg

SS1.jpg
SS2.jpg

They are pretty quick for what they are. They make between 205 and 220HP depending on what kind of boost you run, but since mine is only 3 days old, I am still at stock boost, which is 12 psi. It's a 2.0L L4. The acceleration, both from a stop and from a 60 or 70 is very good, and the supercharger really kicks in to help you speed up quickly, no matter where you are in your powerband. It has a 5 speed manual transmission with a GM high performance clutch. It is geared differently than an SVT is, weighs about 350 pounds less. Gets okay gas mileage, between 280 and 330 miles per tank, depending on how it's driven. It has 7 Pioneer speakers (stock), and a 10 inch Pioneer Subwoofer in the trunk, which is also stock. All in all, this is a very fun car.

They are OK I guess. Dont expect good times if you run the 1/4 mile, there was one at my local track one night with the stage 3 kit on it and it still ran a 15.4, Maybe the driver didnt know how to drive but a fwd supercharged car is the worst idea imo.

"At nearly 3,000 pounds the Chevrolet Cobalt SS isn't light either, and it feels heavy on the road. Plus its acceleration is tempered by those big, heavy (25 pounds each) wheels. Chevy says it will trail the Saturn Ion Red Line, which is powered by the same supercharged engine, in the quarter-mile by two-tenths of a second."
-edmunds

seems to me they aren't much lighter than the svt..50-100lbs,maybe.
decent car's,noisy engine...all in all much better than the platform it replaces.
btw,what did you do w/the tour?

None of you guys have driven one of these I suppose. I would totally rock one. I had the standard Cobalt LT rental car a couple times now and the interior is MUCH nice than the contour, it felt better on the hwy, and was overall a much better car.

I raced a slightly modded one when my 3L was running decent and he was right next to me and a modded SRT4.

but a fwd supercharged car is the worst idea imo.

Go tell that to the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS guys...

Last edited:
I always thought these looked good and was going to buy one when I had the chance. I happily told my mother I dont wanna trade in her car for the Cobalt SS.

Half a year later. My CSVT came into play, What a good decision!!! And that my story of the year...

The car still looks good tho!

- amyn

Nice upgrade. Sorry to see the SVT go. I'll be honest too and say Cobalt SS' aren't my taste, but as long as it plasters a smile on your face man. :cool:

seems to me they aren't much lighter than the svt..50-100lbs,maybe.
decent car's, noisy engine...all in all much better than the platform it replaces.

Quick tip: Using an apostrophe is not the appropriate way to pluralize. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but you seem to do it a LOT.

Wrong: Perfect day for some mod's
Right: Perfect day for some mods

None of you guys have driven one of these I suppose. I would totally rock one. I had the standard Cobalt LT rental car a couple times now and the interior is MUCH nice than the contour, it felt better on the hwy, and was overall a much better car.

I raced a slightly modded one when my 3L was running decent and he was right next to me and a modded SRT4.

I had one pull on my 3.0 just a couple days ago. The supercharger sounded great, but the exhaust sounded like...well...a 4 cylinder.

Go tell that to the Pontiac GTP and Regal GS guys...

you supposed wrong,i drove them in the gm training program before our dealership started selling them

Looks good. Where in MO are you located? Also I was running 14.0 in my modded GTP and the fella next to me was in a Cobalt SS. He had the Stage 2 kit on it and it was running consisten 13.9's, not too shabby if you ask me.

Back