• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I’d forgotten how much fun these cars are to drive!

Auction ended

Auction ended

I'm surprised no one bid on this. I thought I would but didn't.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one bid on this. I thought I would but didn't.
Oh well...

I received an amazing number of offers from people "willing to help me out" :rolleyes: as well as an enticing offer from a truly wonderful Nigerian man offering to pay $35,000 for my “Coontuor” if I can help free his money from an inactive account requiring a small service fee….

The truth is, it’s no big deal. I started this auction as a way to make a decision about using the car for good weather travel/commuting. Not much serious collector interest in these cars! Of course it only takes one… My ad had over 2,000 visitors with about 65 “watchers,” so there is some interest in general.

I simply don’t have the space or the desire to maintain the car in its current condition and my hobby interests have moved way the hell up scale.

Right now today, it’s certainly one of the nicest near-showroom-condition low mileage examples of a 99 CSVT on the planet – in the least common (best!) factory color. The closest thing to a “new” one it’s possible to find … with a proven market value of less than $10,000 – and a “book value,” as so many helpful people pointed out, much, much lower.

I may still sell it if someone wants it bad enough, but I’m not going to worry about driving it or go to great efforts to keep it dry and covered and such. Except in the worst weather, it has now become my daily driver.:)

Last edited:
There are still people willing to spend 10K+ on these cars. Hell I just spent quite a bit more then that on the tour I just bought. I was ready to head to the bank to get a cashiers check for 11.5K for your car but you wanted to put it on ebay. I know the money doesnt mean anything to you so I know it's not a big deal but bottom line you did have a solid offer on it. Just sit on it for another few years and maybe then you can get what you want for it.

Last edited:
ok im sorry if this sounds like being an ass, but you seriously wouldn't take 500 dollars less then what you where asking???

There are still people willing to spend 10K+ on these cars. Hell I just spent quite a bit more then that on the tour I just bought. I was ready to head to the bank to get a cashiers check for 11.5K for your car but you wanted to put it on ebay. I know the money doesnt mean anything to you so I know it's not a big deal but bottom line you did have a solid offer on it. Just sit on it for another few years and maybe then you can get what you want for it.
Why not just buy it through Ebay? Just curious is all. I’m not upset it didn’t sell.

SVTcontourSVT, I hesitate selling directly to anyone in this car club for reasons similar to those that keep me from selling to family. I occasionally do it – and I occasionally regret it. I also had several serious sounding CEGer’s asking about it and an Ebay auction seemed by far the best and fairest resolution to me of who and how much.

My Ebay auction was absolutely legitimate. Had you placed a $10,000 bid you would now own this car and I would be doing my absolute darndest to make sure you were completely satisfied with the purchase, even more so than normal for me as you are a CEGer of good repute who had asked me about the car in the past.

To me this seems dead simple. I have to shake my head in wonder that anyone who really wanted the car would not take advantage of that. I do remember your offer of $11,500 and I remember replying to just wait for the auction and you will probably make a much better deal than that. You could have bid $11,500 and still won at $10,000.

Between the detailed pictures and my reputation on CEG, there couldn’t be too much concern about the condition of the car. Hell, an Ebay auction even offers additional layers of protection over a private sale as I’m cleary very protective of my reputation – as demonstrated by my feedback from past car sales.

I’m old and I’ve been a car hobbyist for many decades. I believe with anything of collector interest, a public sale has the least chance of generating bad feelings or awkward arrangements.

The opportunity to purchase was there and very public indeed. I don’t think I could have done a better or fairer job.

I don’t know what the real market value is for a like new 1999 CSVT – I know it’s worth $10,000 to me and I no longer feel any hesitation at all about just driving and enjoying it.;)

Yes, CSVT’s in well-maintained stock condition are a joy to drive! SVT really did know their business.

Last edited:
I ended up taking your advice and went with a car that I didn't want to see sold while I was waiting for your car to go on ebay. As I stated earlier I know it's just hobby funds for you and that you don't sweat it much but I just wanted to let people know that this would have been a sold car if not for a few days time. 13K was my max I was going to bid on this car, so knowing I could have had it for 10K makes me bite my lip a bit. On the other hand the CSVT I bought suites me a bit better and is as every bit as clean as yours, lower miles too. I do however agree with you that ebay was the fairest way to settle it, even though in this case it didn't yield any buyers. I know both your CSVT's are cream puff's so I had no problem trusting the car or your description. I also agree that these car's should be worth more, Im paying WELL over 10K for mine. At the end of the day your still the winner Jim, you have two beautiful T-green CSVT's with low miles that most people on the forums would give there left nut or overie for. I wish I had one but it just didnt work out this time.

Back