• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid state troopers know nothing about cars.

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
OK, so I got pulled over again last night for my "modified :)rolleyes:)" exhaust being too loud...by a State Trooper. Now I know why so many people get pulled over on campus, because they always nitpick about the stupidest ****. The cop came up to the window and I asked him if there was a problem (I DEFINITELY wasn't speeding), and he told me my exhaust was too loud. He asked if it was stock, and I asked him if he was familiar with the SVT Contour. He said he was and I told him it was stock off an SVT Contour. So he asked if it was stock for my car, and I said not my PARTICULAR car, but for a higher trim level, more specifically, the SVT. I told him it has Ford logos and passes inspection, but he said the inspection didn't matter because it was only for emissions :rolleyes:.

This is the third time I have gotten pulled over, and the third time I have been threatened with a $250 "modified exhaust" fine. Can they ACTUALLY give me a fine? And if so, will I win in court? These staties are really starting to piss me off :mad:

Man you guys got it bad up there in the P.R.M. Down here they don't waste their time with sutpid Sh** like that unless you're being an idiot and they're looking for an excuse to pull you over.

Yeah, there may be some sort of law that the exhaust has to be stock to your actual car. :blackeye: Is the stock svt exhaust even that loud on a zetec?

but theres nothing saying it isnt stock to the contour.. id fight it if you got a ticket cops are @$$es..

Sure there is, an SVT exhaust has a specific part number, a zetec exhaust has a specific part number.

I think it's BS too, but the current laws may not be in your favor.

hmm: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

"No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust. No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise, nor permit to escape from such vehicle smoke or pollutants in such amounts or at such levels as may violate motor vehicle air pollution control regulations adopted under the provisions of chapter one hundred and eleven."

ugh it's so vague....its obviously an oem exhaust but it does make your car louder than originally equipped.

Last edited:
I guess my 2.5" single wont fare so well:laugh:

Good luck with the staties up there, Ian. My friend's in the same boat as you. He just bought a 63 Cutlass F-85:crazy:

I'd just start telling them it's a STOCK exhaust. That's all they need to know ;) Don't tell them anything about it being on a different car, just stick with a need-to-know answer of "Nope it's OEM Ford Contour exhaust" or something like that.

I've fought one of those "illegal aftermarket exhaust" tickets here in MN and had it thrown out no problem. My illegal tint on the other hand..... :laugh:

If i lived up there my car would be impounded, license revoked, done:help: . But other then that they can't get you if you put an svt engine in it...but i don't think they'd give you a ticket in the first place unless you did something else to deserve it. I wouldn't worry as long as theres a stupid kid with a honda somewhere in the area...

No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device,

WTF?????? doesn't this mean that it is illeagal to use your horn? which is by the way a SAFTY DEVICE! that is so stupid!

Yeah, there may be some sort of law that the exhaust has to be stock to your actual car. :blackeye: Is the stock svt exhaust even that loud on a zetec?

It is when it has exhaust leaks, like Ian's! this is why it is louder than normal!

Needs to be fixed Ian...

This is the third time I have gotten pulled over, and the third time I have been threatened with a $250 "modified exhaust" fine. Can they ACTUALLY give me a fine? And if so, will I win in court? These staties are really starting to piss me off :mad:

I don't know how tight your connection to Massachusetts is, but one way to channel the anger is to find a job *not* in Massachusetts and get the heck out of there after you finish school. Massachusetts, California, and New York are the only three states in the country with shrinking populations, and a large part of the reason has to do with BS like this.

Even though I've fled Mass., it still ticks me off to hear stories like this. Good luck.

I'd just start telling them it's a STOCK exhaust. That's all they need to know ;) Don't tell them anything about it being on a different car, just stick with a need-to-know answer of "Nope it's OEM Ford Contour exhaust" or something like that.

exactly what he said.
Just say it's a stock exhaust. If he doesn't believe you, tell him to crawl his ass underneath and take a look at the part numbers for himself. ;)

yeah..what they said.
if i remember correctly, if you look at the mufflers you can even see Ford stamped into the end of it.

when the state inspector yelled at me for my exhaust, i told him to look at the mufflers since they are stock and he stopped arguing.

It is when it has exhaust leaks, like Ian's! this is why it is louder than normal!

Needs to be fixed Ian...

Haha the leak isn't that bad. The exhaust is just plain loud, lol. But when you get your Cougar done I'll pester you again :D

exactly what he said.
Just say it's a stock exhaust. If he doesn't believe you, tell him to crawl his ass underneath and take a look at the part numbers for himself. ;)

I tried telling him it has Ford logos on it, but he said "But this exhaust isn't stock for YOUR car, right? It didn't come out of the factory with this exhaust on it, right?" All I could say to him was that the exhaust came on a Contour of a higher trim level.

Haha the leak isn't that bad. The exhaust is just plain loud, lol. But when you get your Cougar done I'll pester you again :D

I tried telling him it has Ford logos on it, but he said "But this exhaust isn't stock for YOUR car, right? It didn't come out of the factory with this exhaust on it, right?" All I could say to him was that the exhaust came on a Contour of a higher trim level.

Just tell him it is stock for a contour and keep repeating it to him. Or just throw a GT-R badge on the back and tell him to look that one up. He will be there for a while. :laugh:

And Tony where were you when you got a ticket for illegeal exhaust in MN? If they actually handed those out up here, 80% of the population would be in trouble.

Just tell him it is stock for a contour and keep repeating it to him.

That's what I said, but he kept throwing the "But is it stock for YOUR Contour?" back at me. That's the second time an officer has done that. One of the officers just didn't really care once I told him it was stock Ford exhaust. But the other two just didn't seem to get it at all. It's almost like THEY'RE trying to bend the laws to get US in trouble.

That's what I said, but he kept throwing the "But is it stock for YOUR Contour?" back at me. That's the second time an officer has done that. One of the officers just didn't really care once I told him it was stock Ford exhaust. But the other two just didn't seem to get it at all. It's almost like THEY'RE trying to bend the laws to get US in trouble.

yeah you keep saying that but in your original post you made comment that you asked him if it he knew what a SVT contour was and it was stock to that car, not yours, so his question was right, is it stock to your car and it isn't ....

yeah you keep saying that but in your original post you made comment that you asked him if it he knew what a SVT contour was and it was stock to that car, not yours, so his question was right, is it stock to your car and it isn't ....

I guess he just needs to get a SVT. :laugh:

Wonder if they would care if you threw stock ztec exhaust on a SVT?

I think it just means you need to buy an SVT sooner than you planned. Then you can cruise around campus with a full body kit AND dual exhaust and they can't do a thing about it.

edit: ugh beat by the elraido...

Back