• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Tank Strap

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
Saw something hanging under my car today, and discovered it was one of the fuel tank straps. It had totally rusted through. They don't seem to be available at my local autoparts store, so I picked up a set on RockAuto.

My question: my tank is currently on empty. I'm afraid the extra 100lbs of fuel from a full tank will cause it to fall off. If the one strap is rusted totally through, then the other one is most likely very close to failing. Is it safe to drive the car with one strap busted? Will the tank fall off if the second strap breaks? And can I safely put more fuel in the tank?

the only thing that really holds the tank up is those straps. i just pulled my tank today and, although it held itself up for a little bit, i only had 1/4 tank of gas in it and it didnt take much for me to pull it down. i personally wouldnt drive it until i got the new straps in for fear of heating a big bump and the tank dropping out.

yeah, i wudn't risk that disaster waiting to happen...search ur local junkyard, i'm sure u can get a set of straps cheap. remmber...if it falls off and doesn't catch fire you will probably have to redo all your fuel lines after they get violently ripped off! that wud be a huge PITA!!

Matt,
Look on rockauto.com as they list straps there and they aren't too expensive either. IIRC, around $30 for the pair.

Yeah, I already ordered a set from RockAuto, $33 with shipping. They shipped my last order with Fedex, and it came from NJ so it only took a day. Even still, I won't get it till Tuesday or Wednesday, I can't afford to not drive the car till then. I think tomorrow I'm climbing under there with some rope and bungie cords. That way it'll catch and won't do any serious damage. And I'll keep the tank empty to avoid any unnecessary stress.

The most stress will be on the fuel filler neck. Keeping it on E should help and only going out when you need too. Live like the Amish for a few days. No unnecessary movements and none without a purpose.

Bungee cord is now holding up that area. I don't even see a second strap or a spot for it.

I'm assuming these are a simple unbolt to remove/replace?

Yea dude just a bolt at each end if I recall. Make sure you support the tank with jackstands or something, if you're not disconnecting the lines.

It should just hook in on one side and bolt on the other if I'm remembering correctly. Just make sure you get the car off the ground a ways so you have plenty of room to swing the strap under the tank once you get it hooked into the body.

Does the sway bar need to be removed? I attempted it today... took the bolt off, but can't get the end unhooked on the back of the tank, the passenger side one.

Ok, according to the Ford CD, you need to drop the muffler/tailpipe exhaust, and remove the sway bar. I went to do that today, got the sway bar partially detached from the end link, and stripped the bolts, then stripped the bolt holding the bushing in. :nonono:

Ok, according to the Ford CD, you need to drop the muffler/tailpipe exhaust, and remove the sway bar. I went to do that today, got the sway bar partially detached from the end link, and stripped the bolts, then stripped the bolt holding the bushing in. :nonono:

Have you thought of getting some of the end links from Stazi?

I bet you thought you'd only be buying one new thing for your car this time... but as usual it never works out that way.

Yeah tell me about it. The bushing bracket is so badly corroded with rust that it's basically fused to the frame. I'm going to take it to a garage to have it welded out or something. I've tried even drilling the bolt out and it won't budge...

I'll have to contact Stazi about the end links. The rubber on the stock ones is ripped and falling apart.

Back