• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help me stop garbage picking!

imnotacop420

Squire of Awesome
Im sick of garbage pickers coming through my neighborhood!!!!

The night before trash day about 3-5 garbage pickers come creeping through my neighborhood in their beat up vans and rusted out trucks. Its time to fight back!!

I would like to invite you all to the first annual Bailey’s War Against Garbage Picking…….next Tuesday, September 4th feel free to stop by after work and enjoy a few cocktails while making fun of the garbage pickers as they drive their clunkers through my neighborhood. Sure its just garbage, but its not their garbage!!!! Feel free to bring your own quality garbage that might be of value to some hillbilly brunstucky native (they like copper, and 1985 trans am parts!!!!) and set it at the end of my driveway, this will help lure them in. Simply yelling at them as they drive by is not working, so I am moving on to other tactics. Feel free to make a sign or two to help the cause, anything that will get their attention!

If you would like to stop by next Tuesday and need directions just send me a PM. Also, if you have a video camera bring it!

i need to do that in my neighborhood.
i don't really care if they trashpick..but don't make a friggin mess of my garbage so that tehe trashmen wont pick it up!!!

i converted my fuse panels to circuit breakers last week.
i kept all the copper for myself and threw out the old panels and had a few small boxes with trash in them, like insulation, old plugs/switches, etc.
the first guy pulls up as i am still putting stuff out and gets ready to tear open a box that i taped shut so the little pieces of crap in it wont go everywhere.
i told him there was nothing of value in there and asked him not to tear it open. he said ok.
i come back out 5 minutes later and the boxes are ripped open and there is crap all over the sidewalk.
i had to clean it up 4 more times before the trash got picked up.
fuggers!!!

The guys that do it around my neighborhood aren't bad. They'll just pick up stuff that has obvious scrap value. never seen them cause a big mess.

i need to do that in my neighborhood.
i don't really care if they trashpick..but don't make a friggin mess of my garbage so that tehe trashmen wont pick it up!!!

i converted my fuse panels to circuit breakers last week.
i kept all the copper for myself and threw out the old panels and had a few small boxes with trash in them, like insulation, old plugs/switches, etc.
the first guy pulls up as i am still putting stuff out and gets ready to tear open a box that i taped shut so the little pieces of crap in it wont go everywhere.
i told him there was nothing of value in there and asked him not to tear it open. he said ok.
i come back out 5 minutes later and the boxes are ripped open and there is crap all over the sidewalk.
i had to clean it up 4 more times before the trash got picked up.
fuggers!!!
I wonder if you can jot down their license plate numbers and report them for littering.

I think Kim is one the right track. Just as much work as cleaning it up and getting a satisfaction of doing something abooooot it.

Is garbage picking illegal?
The trash is mine, but the tree lawn is owned by the city. So, are they trespassing?

I look at it as if you want to play in garbage, then play in your own! if you want to take mine, I am intentionally going to lure you in with some precious scrap metal and make you pay the consequences! If this doesnt work then some copper pipe, some wire, and a car battery ought to put a stop to things :)

I shred all my important documents bound for the trash but id be worried about missing one and having it end up in the hands of joe bob the trash picker.

If they're not making a mess out in front of your house (like they are with Elky), who gives a s**t if they pull stuff out of your trash? If you're throwing it away, then you obviously don't want it... so if someone else does, what's the big deal? Consider yourself extremely lucky if the biggest thing you have to worry about in your life is whether or not someone picks through the garbage at the end of your driveway.

The guys that cruise my neighborhood looking for scrap metal/other stuff they can sell are doing it in old pickups and vans... obviously they're not doing it 'cause they're bored: they can probably use the money. If someone wants something out of my trash... f**k it... go ahead and have it.

Last edited:
Is garbage picking illegal?
The trash is mine, but the tree lawn is owned by the city. So, are they trespassing?

if the garbage is out at the curb, or in a dumpster, picking is perfectly legal. if it's still by your house or garage, very illegal. as for getting them in trouble; if you really want to (are they really hurting anybody?) take kim's advice and get them reported for littering if you can. if you really want to go out of your way, you can try and lure them with something really nice and leave the trash cans up by your house and report them for theft, but that'd just be mean.

We used to deal with Garbage pickers when I worked in real estate. When we woudl have to get a house cleaned out because the tenant left all kinds of **** and wasn't coming abck for it. Most of the time around the detroit and oak park areas that I dealt with them at they were pretty decent guys just trying to get some cash to keep living.

What time does your trash man come by? Is it possible to just drag your trash out to teh curb before going to work in the morning? My old neighborhood almsot everyone waited till the next morning to bring their trash out.

i have the same problem, except thankfully they don't make a mess.

just remember, garbage probably comes a day later next week w/ labor day. i know mine does.

i have the same problem, except thankfully they don't make a mess.

just remember, garbage probably comes a day later next week w/ labor day. i know mine does.

I have already taken that into account, garbage usually comes on tuesday morning....but with the holiday it will be wednesday, thats why i am planning the 'party' on tuesday.

Its not a BIG deal, but it does bother me. We have a pretty nice patio on the front of the house, so that is the spot we hang out at when its nice or when people are over. Its just looks like hell when you are trying to have a get together and you have people searching through everyones garbage.

dude when i first saw this thread i thought you were like addicted to garbage or something:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kinda dissapointed in the outcome:laugh:
garbage pickers who make a mess suck , heres what you do. you get a midget on meth put him in a can with a bat ......that will teach em

dude when i first saw this thread i thought you were like addicted to garbage or something:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kinda dissapointed in the outcome:laugh:
garbage pickers who make a mess suck , heres what you do. you get a midget on meth put him in a can with a bat ......that will teach em

Can you overnight me a couple midgets on meth? Ill return them after they have freaked out a few garbage pickers :laugh:

Back