• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

bolt on ball joints

97vulcan

CEG'er
so I just had some suspension work done to my csvt and I noticed the shop put on ball joints that have grease fittings on them.

Is this better than sealed ones??

How often do you grease them up??

Thanks,
Adam

moog is simply federal modul. also bolt on balljoints is simply because the factory ball joints are riveted into the control arm, you simply zip them off with a cutting disc on an air grinder and rebolt the new ones to 20 lb pounds. i did these last week. :)

It varies. I had a tie rod with a Zirc on it; then I bought a new TRW unit from Advance, and it was a sealed affair.

I don't think any one style is better than the other, as long as it's a good brand.

having zerks is always better... a lot of the time when a tie rod for example goes bad you could just fill it with grease and it wud be fine, but no some azzhole thought it wud be funny to make it so u can't! i hate that crap! i just noticed the other day that my passenger tie rod is flat, not ruptured,just flat, now i have to tear all that **** apart cuz those dip****s didn't put a f'n 15cent zerk on it!!:mad:

Ball joints with grease fittings will often last the life of the vehicle provided they are properly lubricated at reasonable intervals. The sealed type ones generally do not-- they're designed to provide maintenance-free service for maybe 100k miles.

Anytime I replace ball joints, steering parts, etc., I always go for the ones from Moog with the zerks. Use a good quality grease and fill the boots but not to the point where extra grease comes out. Always wipe the zerk fitting before shooting grease in there to keep dirt out.

Anytime I replace ball joints, steering parts, etc., I always go for the ones from Moog with the zerks. Use a good quality grease and fill the boots but not to the point where extra grease comes out. Always wipe the zerk fitting before shooting grease in there to keep dirt out.
Me too. If you care about the car, go with the MOOG brand. If maintained, greasable suspension parts almost never show significant wear.

Back