• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Installing SilverStars on 98 SVT

Jo4nny

CEG'er
My right low-beam went out the other day so obviously I had to get a full set of SilverStars ;)

I'm not putting high-beams in the low-beam sockets, it's a straight 9005 for the highs and 9006 for the lows.

My question is; do you need to take the headlight assemblies off to replace the bulb? It looks like a tight squeeze, even for my little hands.

I'd just go for it but I read that for the pre-98 mystiques (all I could find when searching for this info) have some tabs or something that are a PITA to get back in. If anyone has any tips or tricks please let me know!

PS I'll try to take some before/after shots but I can't seem to locate my camera at the moment. I'll search for it while I await replies, cheers everyone.

Last edited:
98+ headlights are very easy to take off. 3 screws and they slide right out. Pre98s are a big PITA to take out with the tabs you mentioned. Can't remember if you can swap the bulbs without removing though.

yeah, you have to take out the headlight. get a large flathead screwdriver and remove the 2 screws on top, and one screw way on the bottom. then the headlight comes right out and you just twist out the old bulbs

Awesome, thanks. The flu kept me in bed all weekend, but I'll try to tackle these tonight.

All you have to do to take the bulb out of a pre 98 tour is to turn it counterclockwise and pull - how hard is that?

headlight removal though - total PITA. POS design to put it mildly.

honestly you should be able to get the bulbs out without removing the entire headlight (which isnt hard anyway, its only 3 torx screws). unless the bulb housings are tightened too tight, you should be able to just grab the back of the bul where it plugs in to the harness and turn it to one side (dont remember which) and they'll pull right out..

honestly you should be able to get the bulbs out without removing the entire headlight (which isnt hard anyway, its only 3 torx screws). unless the bulb housings are tightened too tight, you should be able to just grab the back of the bul where it plugs in to the harness and turn it to one side (dont remember which) and they'll pull right out..
unless you have fat hands/forearms and then you cant reach down between the battery and the core support far enough to get any kind of leverage on the bulb. in which case you just undo the 3 screws and pull the headlight out. :D

ya, thats true. i guess i didnt think of that, since i dont have to worry bout that.. im only 5'7" and 140 lbs :mad: .. i have problems growing..

Torx screws? Shouldn't be... they should be regular flat head.

and if you really wanted to you could use 9005's for the highs and lows u just have to use a dremel to knock the knotches off....thats what i did and i have brighter low beams

I installed them last night, so I'll try to post the pics today or tomorrow.

While I had the headlight out I tried to get rid of the hazing by going at them with some Turtle Wax polishing compound, which worked pretty well but by no means perfectly.

The light emitted by the Silverstars is impressive, especially after using stocks for so long. The beams are kinda like Tara Reid's chest (one pointing up, one down) so I'll align them tonight and post pics when I get the chance.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Back