• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

First Mod, great improvement

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Unlike what I've heard from some, an improved intake sounds GREAT on a Zetec! All I did was disconnect the airbox, and the car sounds worlds better. When it idles, it reminds me alot of an SR 240SX, but without the balls, or the whoosh. A cone filter is going on later this afternoon. I may even buy some PVC and go to town. Other than the SleeperZ, what are some of the best home-grown intakes people have put on their cars?

PM OTW

People think I'm crazy for wanting a PVC intake. I say it may be ugly, but it'll work just fine:shrug:

Last edited:
I would like a cheap intake, like a sleeper-z style kit. If everything was PVC based and fit well I'd buy. Filter included of course.

they'll turn brittle quickly..not to mention the chlorine the pvc releases when heated. intakes are pretty cheap nowadays

i'm sure you've heard this..if not:
cheap
reliable
fast
choose two
fast and cheap=not reliable
reliable and fast=not cheap
cheap and reliable=not fast

i'm sure you've heard this..if not:
cheap
reliable
fast
choose two
fast and cheap=not reliable
reliable and fast=not cheap
cheap and reliable=not fast

I like fast and cheap. The car's gunna be an auto-x whore starting this summer (gutted, straight pipes, and such), so if I can do a cheap intake that needs replacing every so often, that's fine

there's the thing though..if you have to replace it a few times,your not saving anything. "do it right,do it once" good adage to live by. think of the heatsoak,what if a hole is worn through it...(those things always happen at the worst of times) :shrug: i guess different strokes for different folks:laugh:

there's the thing though..if you have to replace it a few times,your not saving anything. "do it right,do it once" good adage to live by. think of the heatsoak,what if a hole is worn through it...(those things always happen at the worst of times) :shrug: i guess different strokes for different folks:laugh:

Yopu make a very, VERY good point. But I dunno, a $5 intake replacement once every year o two doesn't sound too bad. A PVC treatment would have to be replaced 20 times to even add up to a SleeperZ. Plus, the plastic keeps the intake charge nice and cool. I dunno, this will be a really bare-bones car

It's cheaper to coat the intake with like a heat-resistant paint or something rather than use PVC. Using PVC is a SUPER bad idea as was already pointed out. Get the Focus intake, because it is pretty flipping cheap.

Why do it cheap and risk hurting your engine? Something like dryer duct, which would be very thin and brittle, could get a tear in it very easily. Then you're sucking unfiltered air directly into the engine, and won't know it unless you inspect the entire intake daily.

Yea he's right, with metal intake kits on ebay so cheap these days, it's not worth it to mess around with some kind of other material and risk sucking in unmetered, or worse, unfiltered air.

I didn't know it either until they said so. I'm just lazy, and would rather use a prefab ebay intake than some complicated setup you have to cut and fit yourself.

Back