• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My N/A...

Prodding? I am suggesting certain things that worked on my car. I did this all before. You shouldn't be questioning topics you have no clue about.

I just wanted to let you know how cool you are TRYING to take a low blow at me.:nonono:

Have no clue about what? making power in a contour? I make more than you ever did... The premise of power is pretty standard. Devans going LOW BUDGET; Not everyone can plop down for a supercharger.

Get over it Hector, you've been around long enough to know its all jokes and friendly rivalry/insulting. Though I suppose you always were overly sensitive.

Have no clue about what? making power in a contour? I make more than you ever did... The premise of power is pretty standard. Devans going LOW BUDGET; Not everyone can plop down for a supercharger.

Get over it Hector, you've been around long enough to know its all jokes and friendly rivalry/insulting. Though I suppose you always were overly sensitive.
Yeah, exactly, I have been here long enough and it gets OLD!

that would defeat the purpose of N/A :blackeye:

I've gotta say that I don't get it either. Where's the ported head? Where the stage 3 cams? Where's the tuning?

Just look at the dyno comparison thread to make NA power.

I also understand going NA, but you're just bolting crap on because you get them free/cheap. The only power adders that you've got is a header/exhaust, intake, and a UDP. That will get you 15-20hp. Considering that it is a CD4E, I'd be AMAZED if you were putting down more than 125HP.

The MAF and injectors are only hurting if you have no tuning.

I'm not crapping on you, just giving you a bit of a reality check.

BP

Im probly going to have the money for the head and cams over the summer. But currently im to poor :blackeye:. The car is getting a tune though before, injectors, and cam gears/vct remove get done.

Ahhhhhhh, OK, I thought you already had all of that stuff on there without tuning.

I think you will be really surprized about the power gain when you put on a bigger cam and you get the cam gears dyno tuned.

The timing on the stock Zetec varies sooo much. I think Ddavis gained 25HP from just adjusting his cam gears and tuning it. :shocked:

BP

Ahhhhhhh, OK, I thought you already had all of that stuff on there without tuning.

I think you will be really surprized about the power gain when you put on a bigger cam and you get the cam gears dyno tuned.

The timing on the stock Zetec varies sooo much. I think Ddavis gained 25HP from just adjusting his cam gears and tuning it. :shocked:

BP
Ben, did i show you the link about the turbo focus gaining 40HP just from tuning the cam gears? valve overlap makes a huge difference on the zetec, espicially the stock cams.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0308tur_force_fed_ford_focus/index.html
if you look at their original dyno plot and compare it to mine the similarities are amazing.

mine:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k17/Dslax/Picture006-2.jpg

/hijack:D

BP
I got about 8 whp by tuning mine....crappy ATX.:laugh:

Ben, did i show you the link about the turbo focus gaining 40HP just from tuning the cam gears? valve overlap makes a huge difference on the zetec, espicially the stock cams.

LOL! I have that mag on my bookshelf. I stumbled across it browsing through Barnes a while back. It really is amazing though.

I had to quote it for the other too lazy to hit the link...

With the cams at zero and the base map loaded, the Zetec was able to produce 187 hp at 7 psi. Power flat-lined after 3800 rpm, then fell off at 5500 rpm. Even after tuning at 7 psi, we were only able to clean the air fuel mixture; we ended up with the same power. It was when we started playing with the cam sprockets that the engine came alive.

Retarding the intake cam sprocket to 6 degrees and the exhaust to 8 degrees netted a total of 230 hp to the wheels. This was achieved after our sprocket tune and Nathan's fuel and timing changes. Nevertheless, this was done at 7 psi.

When the gang at AEBS and Nathan urged me to up the boost, I cranked it to 10 psi. From 10 psi, it went to 12. From 12 psi, it turned into 15. There I decided to put my foot down and stop boosting the car.

As much as the group was having fun making the horsepower, I was the one punching the numbers in the calculator to figure how much was left on the injectors.

At 15 psi, the car produced 278.7 hp and 280.1 lb-ft of torque to the wheels, which means we were really putting out about 306 hp to the flywheel. In other words, we maxed out the injector at more than 85 percent, which is basically an injector running wide open. We were now relying on fuel pump pulse width to obtain more fuel, so until we bump up the fuel injectors, we stayed at 15 psi and 278 hp.

Last edited:
This motor has soo much potential. And for such a small 4 cyl, ALOT of balls. I don't see why it gets overlooked so much. IMO, if Jason Whitfield has his EG putting 825 to the wheels with an H22, we can atleast get 350 with a bit of thinking. I say, at SZ08, we all spend a good amount of time on the dyno with Striker's car, and really see wht we can make of this motor. I betcha there's still alot of knowledge to be had with this motor:shrug:

Very true. Turbo Tom on the focus forums hit 700HP with one of his Foci.

The twincharging idea that I had dreamed up was capable of 500HP. Not all above 5000rpm either. That would have been with a $1400 SVT JRSC and a $500 62-1 turbo working together. If I won the lottery, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's until I sell everything off... :troutslap:

BP

Very true. Turbo Tom on the focus forums hit 700HP with one of his Foci.

The twincharging idea that I had dreamed up was capable of 500HP. Not all above 5000rpm either. That would have been with a $1400 SVT JRSC and a $500 62-1 turbo working together. If I won the lottery, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's until I sell everything off... :troutslap:

BP
im sure you could do the same thing with the right combination of turbos and wastegates. although the turbo fed supercharger would be easier.

im sure you could do the same thing with the right combination of turbos and wastegates. although the turbo fed supercharger would be easier.

Are you planning any more boost (15psi IIRC...)? If so, maybe you should consider a built bottom end (even just rods and pistons...), and >20 pounds:shrug:

Are you planning any more boost (15psi IIRC...)? If so, maybe you should consider a built bottom end (even just rods and pistons...), and >20 pounds:shrug:
i already have probe pistons, eagle rods, and clevette bearings. :D:D:D

i plan to bump it to about 14-15PSI whenever i get all the little kinks finally worked out.:crazy:

i already have probe pistons, eagle rods, and clevette bearings. :D:D:D

i plan to bump it to about 14-15PSI whenever i get all the little kinks finally worked out.:crazy:

my bad....

What's next? Please don't say nitrous. For some reason, I hate that stuff. What cams are you running, and what's your timing?

my bad....

What's next? Please don't say nitrous. For some reason, I hate that stuff. What cams are you running, and what's your timing?
im not a fan of nitrous either so that wont be installed. im currently running stock head and cams, no cam gears either. im not sure what the exact ignition timing is as i didnt do the tuning.

next step will be cam gears. then would be ported head of some kind (either a ported stock head or an FRPP) and cams. after that maybe a bigger turbo, im not really sure.

im not a fan of nitrous either so that wont be installed. im currently running stock head and cams, no cam gears either. im not sure what the exact ignition timing is as i didnt do the tuning.

next step will be cam gears. then would be ported head of some kind (either a ported stock head or an FRPP) and cams. after that maybe a bigger turbo, im not really sure.

Damn, so that means you'll be able to get over 240whp you think? When all is said and done? Maybe more?

Damn, so that means you'll be able to get over 240whp you think? When all is said and done? Maybe more?
im at about 200 (from a dynapack, they tend to read about 10% less than a dynojet so more like 220) WHP right now. with the cam gears alone i should be able to hit 240WHP (260 if i gain the 40HP that the magazine did with the focus). bump the boost to about 15PSI and i should be at/near/above the 300WHP mark (in theory).

i was talking to my dad last night and he said he is going to looking around at what shops charge. So that i can get a good dyno tune on my car before SZ. :cool: idk if ill make much more power with it, but ill get the cam gears tunned correctly.

Back