• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch cables hanging by a thread please help

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I was on my way home from a long trip and about 30mins from my house i was approaching a tollway. I threw the car in neutral for the upcoming stop and out of no where the rpms climb to a steady 4k, doesnt matter what you do now the car stays at 4k rpm, my buddy and i figured its the clutch cables. Both of the brakets are hanging on by a few threads of the bolts. Not sure what happened but I need help in fixing this asap. I'm actually working on the car right now so if you can offer some tips or advice please share.

Thanks,
Matt

ok problems may have been figured out, on the clutch brackets, the right side one(the black one's rubber grommet is pretty much gone so it looks as it will hold for now and ill have to drive and shift like a granny, other problem looks like the idle control

rig some kind of a washer or clip of sorts on the end of the shift cable till you can get a new bushing you should be fine

rig some kind of a washer or clip of sorts on the end of the shift cable till you can get a new bushing you should be fine

or a whole new assembly if he wants :shrug:, i know there is 1 on each of the parts cars still.

thanks for the tips guys, looks like i'm just going to drive very very cautiously untill wednesday when i can replace the bushing, i'm pulling over like every half hour to check on it, it hasn't popped off again.....yet? :shrug: :laugh: ahh o well it will be all fixed up and then i can really drive it again :drool:

Back