• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats The Most PITA Mod You've Done So Far?

So far springs and struts for me, I thought it was going to be easy.....ended up having to call off work the next day because my car was still in pieces.

Headers should be going on in a couple of weeks, I have a feeling that is going to be A LOT worse!

So far springs and struts for me, I thought it was going to be easy.....ended up having to call off work the next day because my car was still in pieces.

Headers should be going on in a couple of weeks, I have a feeling that is going to be A LOT worse!
not really. the suspension setup on these cars is horrible for ease of installation or removal. i could have all four corners off of my mx6 in the time it would take to remove just ONE of the front strut/springs:nonono:

when i did my suspension it was a complete PITA. not only was it my first time, but EVERYTHING was rusted in place or just refused to move. I had to cut/grind and torch a tie rod end pin out of the hub/knuckle because the damn thing was stuck in there and it wouldn't come out. took me a solid 12 hours to do everything, and i almost wanted to cry at one point.

then i did a friend cougar in about 3 hours. no problems whatsoever. insanity.

I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned....electric oil pressure sender installed in the correct location behind the A/C compressor. Not as much of a PITA as headers certainly, but more frustrating to me. Multiple runs to Home Depot & Advance for the correct combo of fittings, hose, etc...and that's not even getting into running the electronics & mounting the gauge. :crazy:

I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned....electric oil pressure sender installed in the correct location behind the A/C compressor. Not as much of a PITA as headers certainly, but more frustrating to me. Multiple runs to Home Depot & Advance for the correct combo of fittings, hose, etc...and that's not even getting into running the electronics & mounting the gauge. :crazy:

Yeah! That was also a mod that wasnt so easy, I ended up removing my compressor and just getting my system recharged

The first set of ShoShop headers were built in a stand and didn't actually fit in the car without modification. I think MMars and I spent 8-10 hours putting them in Pete's SVT on a lift with power tools.

Then MMars decided he wanted to make hit own true duals. That was 16+ hours over two days and he ended up throwing them away.

-Andy

headers.

putting the headers on the 2.5 in the car was so hard. i would pull the engine next time. it took me three minutes to put them on my 3L before i dropped her in :) motor swaps are easy.

oh and a close second would be shift cables. hard to get them where you want them.

wow where to start? i have a laundry list that puts headers to shame

Headers would have been the biggest headache. I actually have scars on my arm from the install.

I would have to disagree on the idea that a suspension swap was hard. It was pretty easy, and I actually enjoyed doing it.

Headers, ive done it 7 times and i still wouldnt want to ever do it again.

Another :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty one was the shift linkage, it wasent a big deal, but getting the New ones in is a huge PITA in such a small area.

Headers made the suspension look easy. If I ever have to do the clutch though, I'm really not looking forward to that.

Matt

You pretty much just start weeping. Somehow, past the bleary-eyed gaze (and often three days later), the clutch gets changed.

I would say my engine swap not much of a mod but that was a pita!!! Jeff even said it was THE hardest swap he's ever done. Everything just kept breaking. Everything that could've gone wrong did, but in the end it was worth it. MMM sexy duratec with an intake and headers.

Back