• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

heater probs

tredse1

CEG'er
98 se...heater only worked on high since i bought the car in jan 08, then about a week ago i installed an aftermarket cd player...and yes i have installed many sterios, i'm not stupid, yet not above making mistakes either...anyway once the sterio was installed the heater started only working intermittitently, the ac also(which needs to be charged)...finnally a couple days ago it stopped working all together! i have removed the cd player and no change..no obvious mistakes made..ie didn't unplug it or anything...i really belive the radio thing is just bad timing, i don't think it is related at all. but who knows...so can anyone help with this one? i'm work'n on it right now..fix'n to check fuses although i dought it to be the prob since it worked on and off....any ideas???:shrug: :confused:

Well the classic reason for operating on high only is burnt out resistor pack near passenger right foot somewhere; search this forum.

That is not near radio area though. Perhaps fan speed switch was in bad shape and you disturbed it or some wiring near it?

Mike

yes i had planed to replace the resistor pack soon, but now it doesn't even work on high...i'm gonna get a meter on the fan when i get home to see if it is getting power...while messing with it last night i did notice that when i cycle the control through the diff selections i can hear the vacume solenoid so i'm pretty sure that part is working ok, cud be wrong though...i'm sure i can eventually figure it out just wondering if anyone had seen this before for a "quick" fix, so i didn't have to search so long as i don't have much extra time:help: thanks!!

fixed it...sorry!

fixed it...sorry!

ok, i feel like a retard... it was just the damn motor...sorry for wasting time and space...:nonono: thought it was something complicated! but i still need a resistor pack, the new motor didn't fix the low-med not working:shrug: ..didn't expect it too so don't hammer me too bad!:blackeye:

It's all good as a friend says, first I've heard a motor trouble. But then these cars are not that young anymore.
If I'm not mis-taken the voltage thru the resistor pack allows the compessor clutch operate. Built in saftety I guess so if the fan not blowing the evaporator coil doesn't turn into block of ice.

It's all good as a friend says, first I've heard a motor trouble. But then these cars are not that young anymore.
If I'm not mis-taken the voltage thru the resistor pack allows the compessor clutch operate. Built in saftety I guess so if the fan not blowing the evaporator coil doesn't turn into block of ice.
Paul,
OP is talking about the blower motor for the heater fan (under the passenger glove compartment), not the radiator (related to A/C) fan.

Thanks Tony the ORF's "forgetter" guess it was the 89 Probe the A/C wouldn't engage when the resistor went open. I remember rebuilding resistor connector with individual spade push-ons.
I'm going to have to go out do some similiualtions looking at schematic again the only thing I did maybe was I also cleaned the mode switch after seeing the condition of the resistor connector? With no blow fuses?

tredse1 Your 57 have quads or single headlights? Atx pushbuttons on the left and ribbon speedo. I'd seen it all red a time or two and remember hearing this thing needs bigger brakes. Oh Turnpike Cruiser????

Thanks Tony the ORF's "forgetter" guess it was the 89 Probe the A/C wouldn't engage when the resistor went open. I remember rebuilding resistor connector with individual spade push-ons.
I'm going to have to go out do some similiualtions looking at schematic again the only thing I did maybe was I also cleaned the mode switch after seeing the condition of the resistor connector? With no blow fuses?

tredse1 Your 57 have quads or single headlights? Atx pushbuttons on the left and ribbon speedo. I'd seen it all red a time or two and remember hearing this thing needs bigger brakes. Oh Turnpike Cruiser????

single headlights, and yes it has the merc-o-matic push button atx, and the ribbon speedo...a i'll be posting pics soon....BTW some don't know that in 57 the monterey was ford's nascar :laugh:

Back