• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removal of fuel rail?

LocoLobo

CEG'er
ok, so i'm taking my 2.5 apart for the first time and i've got the uim removed and i'm trying to remove to lim but i can't get the fuel lines disconnected. i'm looking at this little round donut-shaped thing and see a spring inside of it and imagine there's some way to disconnect it that way but can't figure it out. what am i doing wrong?

you need a fuel/AC line disconnect tool of the proper size. you can get a set of them from autozone/advance auto for pretty cheap.

really? bah! ok so do they make one that is adjustable because the one side is bigger then the other side, or do you think that the one will fit the other?

you take the tool and put it on the tube that goes into the "donut shaped thing" :D you then push the tool into the "donut" and pull the tubes apart. once you see the tools you'll understand.

really? bah! ok so do they make one that is adjustable because the one side is bigger then the other side, or do you think that the one will fit the other?

they come in a package with multiple different sizes, you will need the right size for each fuel line. you can get them off with just the smaller one but its more of a pain in the ass

how i did mine was i got an old jubilee clip and bent it round the little pipe so it pushed in where the spring is it then pushes the spring out and off pops your pipe

i suggest just buying the correct tools. they come with like 5 other sizes which you will most likely need at some time on the car or some one elses car. the whole set is like 15 bucks to do it right

bought removal tools, best thing ever but then i got to thinking about reconnecting them... oh well i'll worry about that later.

bought removal tools, best thing ever but then i got to thinking about reconnecting them... oh well i'll worry about that later.
reconnecting them is simpler than taking them apart. just push them together until they lock.

Make sure they ACTUALLY click/lock. They can get "tight" and even be snug if you try to pull them back apart but not actually be sealed/locked. You don't want fuel spraying EVERYWHERE when you start it up!

Back