• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sideview mirror came out of the base today on the highway...

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
Something apparently nailed the front of my sideview mirror which popped the actual mirror out and to it's rolling doom. How are the mirriors attached? Should they "pop" out like that on impact or was something not attached properly?

The Black Base has something coming out of it that goes thru the inside and holds the painted mirror housing which is held in place by 2 torx screws on the bottom of the Base.
The mirror itself is attached to the end of the base which also holds the motor for your power mirrors.

Check your other side and look under and you will understand...

To take off the mirrors you have to do it from the inside and 3 screws and a electric plug will let the whole thing come off. Then you can take it apart and understand it....

- Amyn

I guess I was just looking to see if I should be worried about the housing being ruined from the mirror being forced out of it, thus making it not reusable.

So I have a set of heated mirrors I was going to use to replace mine, but I can't figure out how they mount! Is it possible that I have a set of non power heated mirrors??

Heated mirrors:
IMG_0361.jpg

Passenger side mount:
IMG_0362.jpg

i changed my passanger side about a year ago. on my svt the original mirrors were not heated, but i replaced the broken one with a heated glass from a mystique i think. iicr, the one pictured above, you just put it in place and gently push/press in. you will hear/feel how it will snap in place. The X like metal peace will clip into the mirror "base". the two bolt like sticks should get into the two holes you see on the second picture. hope that help a bit.

Whats the point of heated mirrors if they arent gonna work???:shrug::nonono:

Im not sure how its gonna fit, it just doesnt look like it, but if others have done it before go for it..... I just really doubt it by those 2 pictures.

The mirrors your car is equipped with is non heated. My Base was like that to.. I dont think the mirror and thebase you have are compatible as your base doesnt support the heating and the mount is in the middle......

EDIT: Gotta get a new mirror that has clips that form a circle around the plastic around the motor.

- Amyn

Last edited:
Well I bought the mirrors a while ago since a few people have done the swap and the only supposed hard part is the wiring (I have all the harnesses to splice in), but these mirrors definitely do not fit this base. But now I'm curious to know what they DO fit!

Looked at my dad's 95GL, same two boltish style as the pre98 heated mirrors I have. Popped my 98.5 mirror off and it's completely different (4 clips that go onto the edges of the ring) So, my next question is, can I go to a junk yard and pull just the mirror motors off a pre98 and swap them out with my 98.5's?

Back