• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sho Shop Y-pipe and MSDS Headers

Speed Demons

CEG'er
Anyone ever successfully match these up? So I have my Sho Shop Y-pipe ceramic coated by Jet Hot. Looking to put in some MSDS headers. Could a good shop match these up? Should I hold off on ceramic coating the headers due to welding issues?
Anyone with experience on this?

Anyone ever successfully match these up? So I have my Sho Shop Y-pipe ceramic coated by Jet Hot. Looking to put in some MSDS headers. Could a good shop match these up? Should I hold off on ceramic coating the headers due to welding issues?
Anyone with experience on this?

Yes i have both on my car right now. Love this combo over the msds y-pipe and headers. Top end flows much better and bottom end for me is the same with either setup.

Also the ceramic coat even with the xtreme coating sucks arse. Mine rusted right through just after 1 year of being on my car.

i had that setup on my old tour...works fine.
+1 on what harry said..i barely have any coating left on my headers:blackeye:

How big are the primary tubes on the Sho-shop y pipe? Just wondering.

I personally don't have one, but assuming it bolts up to the stock manifolds like any other y pipe there won't be anything additional required for mating it to the headers.

i've always been under the impression that the bat ypipe was the old sho shop ypipe. they look identical:shrug:

I think that the BAT has a cat and the SHO Shop doesn't.

Speaking of the bad coatings, I have a used MSDS Y-pipe that I haven't put on yet. It has MSDS coating and has some pitting in it. I don't think that the car that it was on before was used during the winter. I WILL be driving my car in MI from Jan-Mar for the next year or two and I don't want the thing the rust through. What should I do? Sand blast it and repaint it with some 1200-1500 degree paint? Would that be sufficient? I really don't want to spring the cash for Jet Hot coating or anything, but I don't want to buy another one anytime soon either.

sho shop could be had w/a cat...w/out a cat...or w/a removable cat. from what i've found the bat ypipe is a direct copy of the old shoshop y

ive seen some pics of the ceramic coating burned off of the first 8" or so of the headers. seems like wasted money. my stainless steel's are a little blued, but still in great shape!

yeah,it bolts to stock/msds manifolds fine. iirs the primaries were 2"

Matching the msds headers final Diameter piping to the y-pipe is a perfect 2inch to 2inch. Which mates up perfectly.

I will warn you....msds only warranty's the use of the headers with msds y-pipe and stock y-pipe.
Any other y-pipe or custom tubes attached to the headers will void warranty. Due to the stress of the headers being pulled back and forth. A flex pipe is a must or the welds will break right off the header flange.

sho shop could be had w/a cat...w/out a cat...or w/a removable cat. from what i've found the bat ypipe is a direct copy of the old shoshop y

That is correct!! They are a direct copy. Both types had removable cat or non cat piping.

Last edited:

Speaking of the bad coatings, I have a used MSDS Y-pipe that I haven't put on yet. It has MSDS coating and has some pitting in it. I don't think that the car that it was on before was used during the winter. I WILL be driving my car in MI from Jan-Mar for the next year or two and I don't want the thing the rust through. What should I do? Sand blast it and repaint it with some 1200-1500 degree paint? Would that be sufficient? I really don't want to spring the cash for Jet Hot coating or anything, but I don't want to buy another one anytime soon either.

Umm if you strip that coating, you will need to buy 1200 degree primer spray paint. It comes in white or cream color. After a good coat then finish it with regular color 1200-1500 degree paint. Also sanding in between is highly recommended.

WTF man. That Y-pipe is fine. Its their original coating from when they first came out. They changed their coatings awhile back though. The Y you got is from their first batch. There is nothing wrong with it.

WTF man. That Y-pipe is fine. Its their original coating from when they first came out. They changed their coatings awhile back though. The Y you got is from their first batch. There is nothing wrong with it.

Dude, chill out. I just want to make sure that I have all of my bases covered here. You don't have to worry about your SVT making it through the winter. I've just heard bad things about MSDS coatings like rusting through the pipe in one winter. If you read, you'll read through the lines and see that I was asking if I really needed to do anything, and if so, would my plan be sufficient. :blackeye: How was I supposed to know how old it was?

That being said, get that damn 2 bolt cat off of your car so I can put everything on mine without having to make a 2-3 bolt adapter. :laugh:

Last edited:
I've just heard bad things about MSDS coatings like rusting through the pipe in one winter.

If you were referring to my above post. I should of explained it more clearly. I meant, that the y-pipe coating held nothing back and salt ate right through my xtreme coating resulting with it rusting.

The steel pipe itself will last long. It is the welds that will rust quickly resulting in exhaust leaks that is a problem.

My friend bought that stuff a while ago. It goes on like water. He literally did his whole back bed on his ranger, his rear diff and front diff and still had plenty left over on his pint.

I am going to order some when i get my subframe connectors. That way they won't rust once i put them on.:cool:

Yeah man, I had never heard of that stuff before. Sounds like it'd be a pretty decent alternative to ceramic coating...even though I dunno if the heat tolerance would be enough. It would be cutting it close right?

Back